12AV5GA SE amp build

the thermionic watercooler

12AV5GA SE amp build

Postby EWBrown » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:00 am

This was the logical follow-up to my earlier 6AV5GA project,

viewtopic.php?t=4576

basically the same circuit topology, but with 12VAC filament operation, and a "split" power supply, so that each channel gets its own CLC filtering, beyond the shared, up-front CLC filtering. I also bypassed all the major electrolytics with MKP and film caps, this makes a dramatically noticeable improvement in the HF response, as it serves to effectively redice the caps' ESR and ESL. For some reason, I did not need this with the Transcendar OPTs, but the James' really needed this in order to sound
their best, otherwise I found them a bit flat and dull sounding for the upper octave's response.

PA-774 power trannie, two Hammond chokes, and a pair of James 3.5K OPTs, and another C354 choke located under the chassis. Another of my "standard" Hammond 12 X 10 X 2 inch chassis, one of the last few left in the inventory.

Cathode resistors are 880 ohm, 25W Dale "heatsink" mounted under the chassis, This was the appropriate resistance value for the 370VDC B+.

Driver stages are my usual 12AT7 SRPPs, with 1K RA and RK, operating at appx 2.4 ma.

Front:

Under:

That's an ST-35 PSU aftermarket power supply board, I have several of these, for three future "Original" Dynaco ST35 restoration projects.

The "extra" fuse holder will eventually be insserted into the PSU after the rectifiers, and before the first cap, but I have to do some minor PC Board surgery to accomplish that... =:o :/

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby TerrySmith » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Another "Plinkertron" lives! Nice work, and I like the use of oddball (aka cheap) tubes.

How does it sound?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:43 am

It sounds great! Like with any amplifier, the power supply is the vital, solid foundation, I simply "borrowed" from the ST35 PSU, and then added a pair of downstream LC filters, one for each channel, to remove any residual ripple, and the background is "black" quiet.

I have a couple of future "followups" planned, one using 6GE5s, another using the lesser-known 6AR6/6098/6384/TE27 BPTs.

That's when the original 6AV5GA G*S*G carcass shall be re-incarnated, and the amplifier's life-cycle begins anew. And after I replace the James OPTs which got stolen for this 12AV5GA project ;) (lol) O:)

viewtopic.php?t=4551 (uh-oh, I'm fearing the possible initiation of another cybernetic space-time-continuum loop)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to diy hifi