When is Hammond no longer a Hammond?

the thermionic watercooler

When is Hammond no longer a Hammond?

Postby Geek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:10 am

When they make 'em in China :'(

My shipment came from a wholesaler that got them straight from Hammond - no bait-and-switch. They sold us out or something?

>:o
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:06 am

They've been doing that for years now. Their top end stuff is still made in Canada, but anything else is Chinese.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:38 am

I've been doing builds with Hammond auxilliary iron for a long time and this was the first I've ever received that was made in China (???)

It sure runs HOT compared with the others I've used =:o

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Aw man!

Looks like I've lucked out and got Canadian leftovers until now :(

From Hammond:

Hello Gregg

Unfortunately it's true, we have had parts built in China.

It was about 3 years ago that we had to start looking. Competitive pressures.

It will be limited to simple power transformers. Mostly pin mounted but some lead connected parts.

No audio transformers or parts with any complexity.

If it means anything, we have approved only 2 locations ( 1 for small and 1 for large parts ) that were recommended and we checked out in person.

So far , all has gone well.

You can send me an e-mail to find out if the parts you need have been transferred.

We can always build parts here in Canada buy request. We have a modified part number to indicate Canada made.

Hope this helps.
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby dcriner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I think Hammond is risking its reputation by applying its brandname to Chinese items. Now it's limited to "simple" power xfmrs. What about in the future? Do we need to send an email to Hammond before ordering any item to verify its source?

A transformer may be "simple," but if it has substandard core material, insulation, etc., it will not perform properly. One visit to the factory won't satisfy many of us.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:06 pm

Do we need to send an email to Hammond before ordering any item to verify its source?

That's what I read in the letter.

A transformer may be "simple," but if it has substandard core material, insulation, etc., it will not perform properly. One visit to the factory won't satisfy many of us.

I have inside knowledge as to outsourcing to Chinese factories, even good ones - they practically need micromanaging to keep QC up.

Lower quality materials would explain why my transformer has a 50C rise above ambient tested at full tilt.

I think it's sending emails that's a good idea - to Brian Weston asking for Edcor versions of the 166 series Hammonds ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby dcriner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 pm

If they want to sell cheapo Chinese xfmrs, they should brand them something other than Hammond. And, by all means, charge a premium for Canadian-made versions. My guess is that they will slap their brandname on Chinese xfmrs, and then ask a premium price. Why should I buy a "simple" Hammond-branded xfmr made in China? Might at as well buy a cheapo xfmr to start with.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:37 pm

dcriner wrote:If they want to sell cheapo Chinese xfmrs, they should brand them something other than Hammond. And, by all means, charge a premium for Canadian-made versions.

That would make sense and I know my clients are more than willing to shell out the extra coin.

My guess is that they will slap their brandname on Chinese xfmrs, and then ask a premium price.

The battle cry of "Why be different than any one else?" Sad.

Why should I buy a "simple" Hammond-branded xfmr made in China? Might at as well buy a cheapo xfmr to start with.

Exactly.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:44 am

You have to respect the honesty of their reply. I agree tho that they shoud be branded differently if they are from Chian.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:18 pm

Maybe they should call the Chian-made trannies

SHAMMOND :/ ;) (lol)

Simple trannies today, OPTs tomorrow, eh (???) =:o :( (sick)

/ed B in NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:55 pm

I have a reply from Brian Weston regarding this situation... stay tuned! :))

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Triad is the same way, the C24X chokes I got recently from Mouser are made in CHINA!
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:06 pm

I tried some Triad's from DigiKey for spare filament juice on my latest DynaMutt build - 30C rise. Not bad.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:57 am

I just hope that Edcor doesn't start having their trannies made in Chian. yeah, they can do good quality work over there, but then they have to be watched over, like a hawk, to keep them from just cranking out cheap stuff. (Like those wretchedly bad quality "Handwound" transformers of a few years ago).

But then, Japanese manufacturing was about at the same shoddy level some 50 years ago, too, and look how their quality improved dramatically over the years...

I've also received Chinese made Triad / Magnetek chokes, and they worked as they were expected to perform. But then, it's kinda hard to screw up a simple open-frame choke :/ ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:30 pm

EWBrown wrote:But then, it's kinda hard to screw up a simple open-frame choke :/ ;) (lol)

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh, they can and they do! (lol)

I bought some from Mable Audio once... Rated at 9H, 100mA for $2.50/ea., I figure what could go wrong in a choke?

O...M...G...

1) They were the size of a reverb driver tranny (about an AA5 OPT size). There's no way the core could handle it.
2) The core WAS NOT GAPPED! =:o (sick)
3) They used AWG 38 wire in it. 100mA was the fusing point for it >.<

Oh yeah, they can screw up a choke bigtime!

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Next

Return to diy hifi