Vuvu-speakers

the weakest link we love so much

Vuvu-speakers

Postby soundbrigade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 am

Anyone taking part in the fotoboll aka soccer championship in Royaume Unis au Africa Sud have propably heard the terrible noise from the African plastic trumpets called VuVuzela, but if we take one ....

PLUS one ...

Do I get some great ...

WAKA WAKA???

Or to give a more serious question - what will I get? Is this something to test?
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:24 am

Probably a very narrow response and directional mid-range. Might be worth a try just to see what happens, if you can get one of those plastic trumpets. I don't know how available they are in Sweden (perhaps they can be used as Moose callers), but there are similar plastic horns here in the USA.

Around here, soccer is about as popular as watching grass grow ;-)

As I recall, there are only three or four possible outcomes: 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1 and on very rare occasions, 2-1.

Maybe these horns can be useful for repelling sharks, and less expensive than this technique appareltly being used on a Russian beach:

FWIW, there is a class of Russian submarines named "Akula", which translates to "Shark", so if this is indeed an Akula, then it IS the big shark swimming along the beach :))

/ed B in NC
Last edited by EWBrown on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:03 am

I have .... no I haven't ... published any photos from the DIY meeting in Gothenburg last Saturday.
Here're photos and Swedish text (ask me if you want to know anything):
http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=79181&whichpage=10

The idea with the f****ing trumpet was to try it out, see what would happen as I am childishy interested in simple experimental things.

Besides I don't watch the games either, but it is interesting to notice that Brasil won over North Korea (the bad guys that are building a bomb for the White House) with just 2-1. The gookes (or geeks??) actually made one goal. It is always interesting to see the "loosers" win or at least do an unexpected good work. Like seeing an US biathlonist stealing a bronze, silver or even a gold on occasions.
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Those vuvuzelas are similar to some cheap plastic trumpets I've seen and heard back up north. I guess they are the low-budget mass produced version of a didgeridoo ;-)

I figure that Brasil gave the Norks a sympathy goal, just so they won't feel so bad. Maybe Dear Leader Kim-Chee-Eel-Dong told them that if they didn't get any goals, they would be sent to "re-education camp" for the next 25 years...

Sssssshhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, we have a giant, ten million pound bomb made of rotting whale carcasses, ready for speedy delivery to Pyongyang, should the need arise.

I was wondering if there are any tube amps in NK, but then, I reckon that they haven't yet achieved that level of technology ;-) They're still working on perfecting fire, and their "No Dong" (East Wind) missiles are becoming very adept at killing fish...

I see that you brought along the little TUBE AMPLIFER, too!

as well as your IPOD docker 5998A SET:

/ed B, in a secret underground bunker somewhere in the western hemisphere.
Last edited by EWBrown on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 pm

EWBrown wrote:Those vuvuzelas are similar to some cheap plastic trumpets I've seen and heard back up north.

Had to.... they won't let us bring airhorns into the hockey games no more ;-)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:49 am

The 12th of June, was the annual DIY summit held in Gothenburg. Due to World Championship in Vuluzulu-trumpets (Football in S Africa), school exams, marriages, holidays .... you name it, we were very few showing up our stuff and very few to of have a peek and removal of ear wax.

Here are som shots and some few comments. I will try to answer questions if you have any as good as I can.

This year I had a private driver as my friend, matties, hadn't anything prepared for the show. Last year, we each brought our Sonido horns. This year I had the un-orthodox 2-way speakers from AudioExpress (2003) and the smallish hONKEN (fONKEN with HiVi), the Chinese micro-amp and the 5998A SE-amp.

The show was held at Chalmers Tech Institute - the most elitic Tech Institute in Sweden.

The one who was observant was met by a friendly welcoming message - WE CARE FOR THE SMALL PEEPLE ... no, "HiFi forum DIY-meeting".
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:50 am

The halls we occupied weren't that suitable for listening to music. Concrete has a bad habit of bouncing back soundwaves. There was also a low platform that was resonating pretty good in one end of the rooms. But we must be happy with what we got. Had we been many more visitors things could have been easier.

Here's some stuff in a neighbor room:

There were JordanWatts in the speakers.

The monoblocks are cooked according to Rozenblit's 150W-recipie.

A vintage tube preamplifier (10 years old)

PCB for a bass-eater:
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 am

Two of these (IKEA)

makes one of thiskind:

A such a piece:

With the globe above makes this combination

The open baffle are equipped with dirt cheap car speakers (20$/each).
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:51 am

Dynacoclones or the real stuff?):

These speakers and a small child and a box with crayons would make a good combination.
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:52 am

Here are some Swedish audio geeks (small peeple) in action.

Here are som stuff with a very high WOW-factor:

Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

And the mandatory coffee-corner. If you ever plan to come to enjoy a Swedish DIY summit, you must remember that word "de-caffeinated" cannot be find in the Swedish language, and the less in a Swedish HiFi Coffe-shop.

Spectators (what do say about those who listen? Onlookers - Onhearers???)

As I noted, there were few visitors this time, but we ae promised access to the facilities at a better date next year.
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Oh, by the way, I forgot to shoot my stuff ... :eek:

I borrow this photo, showing teh 2-way speakers (with 24dB elliptic filters) and the small hONKEN speakers that made people speechless. I am surprised, myslef, who good the actually sounded. And even if they didn't cause eartquakes or landslides they did actually play some low notes.

Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:54 am

Mr Brown had already found pics of the Chinese small peeple amplifier and my Swedish small peeple 5998A amplifier.
Magnus

soundbrigade
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Wow! Some gorgeous stuff there! :-D

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:06 pm

soundbrigade wrote:Dynacoclones or the real stuff?):

Dunno about the amps, but the one on the right appears to have genuine Marconi Osram KT88 power tubes. Nice.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Next

Return to loudspeakers