HV PS Connector?

the thermionic watercooler

HV PS Connector?

Postby MashBill » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:48 pm

I need to "chassis up" an Akido Octal that will be running 4 6SN7s at 250 to 275V B+ and I would like to put the B+ and heater transformers in a separate chassis to minimize vibration.

Can you recommend a connector to use for the umbilical cable? I figure it should be rated for about 300 to 400V AC and needs to have 6 contacts.

Thanks!

Bill
MashBill

Postby davygrvy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 pm

I prefer the circular Amphenol ones like this: http://www.amphenol-industrial.com/new/ ... readed.pdf
David Gravereaux
<i>"Don't fear the iron" -- Chris Palmatier</i>
davygrvy

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Think out of the box a little bit ... the cable will rarely be disconnected,
once you hook the two units together, they will stay that way pretty
much forever. A simple and safe way to connect would be to simply
connect the wires permanently to one end (I'd say the preamp end)
and put a plain old bakelite type barrier strip INSIDE the power supply
chassis, and put spade lugs on the end of the connecting cable, and
pass the cable through a grommet on the power supply, and connect
it up. It would be a simple matter to flip the supply and loosen the
screws and pull the cable loose.

Quick, safe, easy ... total cost about $ 2.00.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Quad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:14 am

Our prolific Min (SDS-Page) provides a couple of nice examples -

1) CB-radio style connectors found on ebay

http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/sitebuilder ... 250020.JPG

2) Octal or similar base, which you can get from RadioDaze.

http://www.tubeaudiolab.com/sitebuilder ... 033670.JPG
Quad
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:06 pm

I've used the Amphenol ones and can x2 that recommendation ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby MashBill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:52 pm

I should have mentioned that I was aware of the Amphenol connectors and I plan to use a barrier strip with ring connectors for the PS box. (I only need to disconnect the PS at the preamp.)

I thought you guys might know of some other cool/kooky/weird/retro connector options. I will probably just go with the tried and true Amphenol.

Thanks for you input and ideas.

Bill
MashBill

Re: HV PS Connector?

Postby ChrisAlbertson » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:25 pm

MashBill wrote:Can you recommend a connector to use for the umbilical cable? I figure it should be rated for about 300 to 400V AC and needs to have 6 contacts.

Bill

The best high voltage connector that you can easyly buy for low cost is the "UHF" connector. These are typically used to connect radio transmittrs with an antenna. Ham readio people are know to build kilowatt size amps with kilovolt class power supplies. the UHF connector is a common way to connect the high voltage supply as well as to connect the final output of the amp to the antenna. Maybe the best part is that you can buy pre-built cables with these ends on them for not a lot of money.

That said the conventional HiFi method, from the tube era was to use a standard tube socket on the power supply and another socket on the amp. You can buy 8-pin octal plugs that look just like the an octal tube base. Of course these sockets are rated for high voltage and they have the required number of pins.

The UHF connector and associated RG-8 typecable however is very safe. The cable I use is rated use even under water or unprotected on a rooftop. You can't beat it for robustness. If you need to run B+ __between__ two chassis I go this rout. If you are running the B+ inside an enclose then you can just use normal 600V hookup wire and with ring terminal crimpted on and screw type bearir terminals. I like the ring terminal because they don't come loose if a screw becomes loose. If yu are going _between_ enclosures, remember this is lethal voltage, use a robust cable
ChrisAlbertson

Return to diy hifi