custom KT88 or EL34 amp with new toroidal transformers

barter, sell, and trade here first

custom KT88 or EL34 amp with new toroidal transformers

Postby tubes4hifi » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:37 pm

new power and output tranformers, and custom made chassis
over $800 invested, unfinished project.
I can include ALL parts needed to complete it and all documentation and any technical assistance - I've just got way too many unfinished projects and no time to work on them. Photos available.
Best offer over $500, email for more info
roymottram@yahoo.com
tubes4hifi

RE - custom KT88 or EL34 amp with new toroidal transformers

Postby tubes4hifi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:56 am

guess I need to clarify my previous ad for this.
I've got a brand new set of 3 toroidal transformers and a custom made chassis and top plate, to build a new custom amp.
The transformers are very nice european clones (made by Trafomatic)
of the excellent Plitron transformers which cost $320 each
piece last time I checked. I've got $600 into the trannies and chassis,
and will sell for $500 or best offer.
I also have available ALL the parts needed to finish the amp
(these would be at the regular price in addition to above), or you
can build something else using the above parts.
To finish the project as designed, I've got 4 new KT88s, 2 new 5AR4 rectifiers, 2 new chokes, and 3 new HV PS capacitors, as well as my assembled VTA PCB driver board, and can include full instructions to finish the project (all these items at additional charge)
Last edited by tubes4hifi on Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubes4hifi

RE - custom KT88 or EL34 amp with new toroidal

Postby tubes4hifi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:10 am

I'll try to insert a photo here, if it doesn't come thru, you can also see it on my website . . .www.tubes4hifi.com/VTA100.jpg

tubes4hifi

RE - custom KT88 or EL34 amp with new toroidal transformers

Postby tubes4hifi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:42 pm

I thought this was clear - transformers and chassis for $500 OBO, what you see in the photo is what is included.
Use them for your own project, or I can include technical support to finish the project as I designed it, which would cost about $400 more in parts and tubes for completion.
tubes4hifi

one more time

Postby tubes4hifi » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:53 pm

last offer on this deal before it goes on Ebay in January 2008, I'll take best offer over $400 !! (that's what you see IN THE PHOTO above)
If you want the entire project with ALL parts to finish it off, I'll take $750 for parts I paid $900 for.
NOT for a beginner, please, but easy for anyone who has already built an amp or two.
roymottram@yahoo.com
www.tubes4hifi.com/st100.htm
tubes4hifi

SOLD !!

Postby tubes4hifi » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 pm

thanks to Ed, enjoy it!!
tubes4hifi

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm

That ought to make a heck of a nice amp when it's done. I've got to wonder if the price Ed paid included tubes, too. A good deal one way, an even better deal the other. Hey, you could pay that much for a rotten old pair of Dynaco Mark III off eBay.

Ed, I think you owe us a few photos when it's done.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:40 am

I just bought the chassis parts and the VTA70 board, I already have the tubes and everything else already on hand... Should be arriving Friday or Saturday, according to the tracking...

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby EWBrown » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:02 am

It arrrived Saturday, around 1:20 PM. Looks great! Survived the trip just fine, though the Fedex box looked a tad "beat", the contents were 100% OK!

It's a heavy "beast", at around 38 pounds :o in its present condition.

(I'm having local network / e-mail issues here, so this is my only way of getting throuhgh at present)

Every great amplifier project deserves a name or title, so I'm gonna dub this one "The Herniator" as it is definitely NOT a lightweight... Those Trafomatic Toroids probably weigh in at least 12 pounds each. The bronze-anodized thick aluminium chassis plate is 17 X 10 inches, and the black powder-coated (updide down) chassis is 17 X 10 X 3.

I'll add decorative "fancy" wood on three sides, and maybe a partial wood covering on the rear with access for the various I/Os. When all is said and done, I'll venture a SWAG of about 50 pounds for the complete unit :o

(One of the local lumber yards offers "craft bundles" of "fancy" hardwoods for dirt cheap, and five bucks got me more than enough to do this amp at least twice over).

The power trannie is 360-325-0-325-360 @ 300 mA, 2X 6.3VAC @ 5A and 5VAC @ 4A. Given Trafomatic's rather conservative power ratings, I'd SWAG that this one has some big high powered "ballz" capabilities...

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby WA4SWJ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Ed,

Looks great. Let's see some pictures when you're all finished with "The Herniator" - and no surgery photos please! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

I should have a toroid-based amp of my own sometime early next year. Happy Holidays Everyone!
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Postby mesherm » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 pm

What power tubes are you planning to use?
KT-88s, KT-77s or EL34s? The spacing of the octals looks a bit tight.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby sorenj07 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:14 pm

if spacing is tight, KT90's seem like the best real estate to power ratio...
sorenj07
KT88

A masterpiece in slow progress

Postby EWBrown » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:38 am

I have choice of KT88, 6550s and EL84s all on hand, I'll do some "dry fitting" of the various tube types, and different rectifiers, before committing to a particular type.

I suppose that the ultimate fit test would be a quad of KT88s and a pair those Chatham "potato masher" flat-top 5R4s. In this case I will not go with SS rectification, unless I try Weber Copper Caps at some time.

The driver board uses three 12AT7s, in a pretty much "classic" grounded cathode VA and Schmidt LTP circuit, and it also has the AC balance and all four bias adjustments on board, and the necessary Rs and Cs to feed it with the full B+ voltage. There is plenty of space behind the toroid trannies, so I may install the RCAs, speaker binding posts and AC power / fuse inputs there instead of on the black inverted sub-chassis. That will eliminate any "umbilical" cables tying the two chassis' together.
Whilst I'm doing this "surgery", I may broaden the openings for the tranny leads, as they are just a mite tight... Doctor Dremel to the rescue.

I'm also thinking of painting the trannies with bronze metalflake (same as I used on the Ned Chassis and a 12B4A SET mini-amp) to complement the chassis plate color, that's TBD... If I can peel the Trafomatic labels, without damaging them, I'll re-install them afterwards.

This will be a fun and interesting project, and the biggest one yet for me!

I'm trying to progress beyond the "soviet cold-war military surplus" look of most of my projects Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_08 :o

I was expecting to have the week between CHristmas and New YEars off, but it now appears that this ain't gonna happen Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21

/ed B in NH
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to preBay