Dyna Clone Transformers (triode vs. dynakitparts)

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Dyna Clone Transformers (triode vs. dynakitparts)

Postby snitch56 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:04 pm

I thought I would revisit this topic as it has been a while since it was last discussed.

I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation as to which transformers (triodeelectronics.com or dynakitparts.com) are better or am I just comparing apples to apples?

Here is what I can tell based on the two websites pictures:
The pictures at triode make the transformers appear scratched up and one of the mounting brackets is bent. Also, the wire leads from the A470 on the dynakitparts seem to either have a smaller gauge wire or thicker insulators (maybe PVC vs. Teflon?) compared to the triodes. The dynakitparts transformers look to be nicely finished with old iron labeling.

Any additional information related to sound, heat and quality of these transformers would be helpful.

Thanks in advance
snitch56

Re: Dyna Clone Transformers (triode vs. dynakitparts)

Postby Uncle Ned » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:39 pm

snitch56 wrote:The pictures at triode make the transformers appear scratched up and one of the mounting brackets is bent.

It's just a crappy picture. The transformers are fine.

Also, the wire leads from the A470 on the dynakitparts seem to either have a smaller gauge wire or thicker insulators (maybe PVC vs. Teflon?) compared to the triodes. The dynakitparts transformers look to be nicely finished with old iron labeling.

The question is whether the dynakitparts.com transformers are actually wound like a Dynaco or not. Their website is not entirely clear on the subject.
Ned Carlson
www.tubezone.net
SW Side of Chicago,IL USA
Uncle Ned

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:44 am

I only have experience with the MK-III transformers from Triode - and they are beautifully finished, the leads are teflon and plenty long - the power transformer runs cool. I couldn't be happier with them.
The part numbers are painted, not stamped, which is OK with me.

I've used about 30 new transformers in projects over the last two years, and most of them do require bending the mounting ears flat with a pair of pliers, as they tend to get bent in shipping. I don't remember the Triodes specifically, but it's just one of the normal things that happens.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to st70