ST-35 with less efficient speakers.

for the DIY ST35, the Dynakit and every other PP EL84

ST-35 with less efficient speakers.

Postby Stevedel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:31 pm

This is my 1st posting as I have just received my posting privilege. I am a latecomer to this site, but have found more of interest here than any other site.

I built my ST-35 out from several vendors parts, a Dynakitparts bias control and Mundorf .1mfd Silver in Oil coupling capacitors. Lovely piece of engineering. (Not me, Ed Laurent) I am currently building one of Mr. Parks Rev D designs.

The reason for this post is to relate how well my little ST-35 handles a pair of Rectilinear IIIs. My Nikko Alpha 220 is getting a little tired and although I have several power amps that may have been more suitable, I decided to try the ST-35. I had just installed new Sovtek 7189 tubes and it sounded real good on my Mini IIIs.

In my living room setup, which is never played very loud due to the "Silence is Golden" half of the household, the ST-35 sounds wonderful. I have yet to reach a point that it sounds strained or the transformers are too hot. Cassette tapes sound good, CDs and FM classical sound better. The real surprise was how fantastic this little wonder responds to a good LP record played on a Thorens TD160C turntable with an Empire 999VE/X cartridge.

Rectilinear IIIs (The big ones are much better than the Minis) and the ST-35 really like each other.

I'd love to hear from any of you with a similar experience.

Regards, Stevedel
Stevedel

Re: ST-35 with less efficient speakers.

Postby battradio » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 pm

A speaker with 95 DB or better efficiency would be best , Klipsch cornwalls or fortes would be a good choice .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Stevedel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:12 pm

Thank you for your input , battradio. I have spent years collecting JBL raw speakers and have enough to build several very efficient systems. A JBL 001 component group in an 8 cu ft. ported cabinet would be a good example and a very efficient setup. But that isn't my point.

I am setting here listening to the local NPR broadcast of the New York Symphony. I quit listening to good FM radio broadcasts because of the lackluster performance of my solid state components. This little ST-35 has renewed my interest.

As long as the little Dynaco and the Rectilinears like each other, I'm very happy. I am going to order a second Mk-IV kit from Dynakitparts and later some parts for a pair of Mk-IIIs but I need to finish my Ver. D of Mr. Parks neat design, using Edcor transformers, first.

I'm just wondering how many others are using Mr.Laurent's creation beyond it's intended purpose.
Stevedel

Postby Stevedel » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:00 pm

I have placed an order for two pair of Mundorf .22mfd Silver/Gold in Oil coupling capacitors for my ST-35 Rev D. The new amp will use an Edcor power transformer and a pair of Edcor CXPP 25-MS 8K/23% output transformers.

It will be very interesting to compare the Dyna ST-35 (With .1 mfd Mundorf Silver in Oil caps) and the new Rev. D.
Stevedel

Postby Stevedel » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:46 pm

One more observation before I'm done.

I've been listening to this little amp (classical music, moderate volume) for most of the afternoon. I can still hold a finger on both of the output and the power transformers for several seconds before feeling discomfort. I realize that "moderate" is quite subjective.

O.K. I'm done.
Stevedel

Postby battradio » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:52 am

The power transformer can get as hot as 160 degrees fahrenheit before it is too hot , the output transformer is heated by the tubes and power transformer by radiated heat and convection .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby dcriner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:48 pm

If you can hear an audible difference after replacing those xfmrs and the caps, you're a better man than I, Gunga Din. Without a controlled, double-blind test or measured frequency response, I think you are whistling Dixie, and it is not very credible.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Return to stereo 35