ML TQWT Part Deux

the weakest link we love so much

ML TQWT Part Deux

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:17 am

Finished them up sans bases. First impressions are very favorable. I do wonder if these speakers will hold up to high SPL rock - thinking an array might be better for that. I have a Rat Shack SPL meter on the way and I'll sweep it pretty thoroughly. Once again, no baffle step compensation employed - just pure full range crossoverless bliss hooked to my get*set*go.

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby parabellum » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:21 am

do those drivers need a breaking in time like some other and how much difference did you notice in sound

Good job
parabellum

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:31 am

parabellum wrote:do those drivers need a breaking in time like some other and how much difference did you notice in sound

Good job

They sounded pretty good to me at first listen. Let them run all day yesterday for a pretty decent break-in, I think, and again all day today.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby parabellum » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:32 pm

I forgot what drivers you are using but remember reading about hornshoppe's "the horn" speakers which use fostex fe126 where it said that there is ridiculous difference after the speakers are fully broken in, and he said that is almost like a sudden change when they all of a sudden start sounding really good.

I'm very interested in your full report on how well these sound compared to some other speakers you have/had.
parabellum

Postby MarkC » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Shannon,
Very nice. Your turntable looks like mine. Is it a Thorens? What cartridge are you using?
MarkC

Postby wiredbecker » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Hey Shannon, what Klipsch are those?
wiredbecker
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:58 am

MarkC wrote:Shannon,
Very nice. Your turntable looks like mine. Is it a Thorens? What cartridge are you using?

Hi Mark,

It's a Thorens TD150/II with a Shure M75 cart with an EJ stylus. The M75 cart has a perfect mix qualities for my listening, and it is cheap on eBay (I received two free ones as part of an auction, fwiw) and new Japanese replacement styli are available for $19. I think of it as a poor man's V15 and I can relax - even drink a glass of wine or beer - when using it. ;)

wiredbecker wrote:Hey Shannon, what Klipsch are those?

Heritage Chorus IIs. Honestly, some of the best speakers I've ever heard.

The TQWT drivers are the Fostex FE167E from Madisound.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby parabellum » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:53 am

those are the same drivers i plan to use for the pawo design
parabellum

UPDATE

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:07 am

Moved the Pipes (that's easier than TQWTs) to my new - err - media room. Actually, it is an unfinished 21 by 20 foot room with regular ceiling and a tiny bit of carpet. While it is actually meant for that room ultimately, I needed a work system while I rejuvenate that room completely with paint, drywall work, wiring, new carpet, etc. Moved my dumpster Denon CD player (with adjustable line out via the remote - sweet!) and get*set*go out there, too.

Anyhow, the far field bass probs regarding this design were quite evident with this setup. I went ahead and got the $10 Teac EQ I had recently purchased for this eventuality, and EQ'd it up by ear and with some swagging. Basically just EQ'd it up starting at 250Hz and lower. I did slightly tweak up the 8kc & 16kc. Sounds fantastic and I'm very happy. Need to still sweep it with my meter and see how my bad my ripple is. It could be the ripple, but I'm definitely catching stuff - usually low level dynamic content - I've never caught before. Heard a dog barking on an Andreas Vollenweider disc I'd never heard before. And the 'positioning' of the sounds is pretty neat. I'm constantly hitting the pause to see if the doorbell rang, someone is talking or if a dog really was barking. Is that a bad thing? Cats look at these speakers like they are living things.

Once the carpet and accoutrements are in place, I'll get a better idea. I think two more of these as satellites using a switching device would be the cat's pajamas. Switching device would be for parallel stereo and theater satellite swap (have no idea what this contraption would look like). I can fill the carpetless room to high SPLs easily with no distortion from the SET or Pipes. Yes, one rock record was used in that test - LZIII. No distortion on the first track - other that what was there originally. ;)
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: ML TQWT Part Deux

Postby AmadeusMozart » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:45 pm

If problems with a Voigt you might want to change to mass loaded - simple enough to do.

I love the metronome (diyaudio - same moniker) with the Fostex FF105WK. Best enclosure I've build during my life. (Mass Loaded Voigt tapered in two dimensions)

Edit: Oops, just noticed these are mass loaded. The metronome likes a tile or a hard surface under it, then bass improves a lot. Actually by that time it is more like a double cavity and the part under the speaker "filters" out higher frequencies. These speakers enjoy tube amplification but need with the new FFxxxWK drivers 500 hundred hours or more before they starting to sing.
AmadeusMozart

Postby pmarcin » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Shannon,
Did you perform any mods on the xover in the Chorus? I did a straightforward parts upgrade, e.g., Hovland caps, Goertz inductors, new electrolytics, to my Fortes and it made an audible improvement. I also tried Tom Munch's xover and felt my tweak was slightly better. (I remember that it required a passive, daughter board sitting atop the original to contain some of the larger parts.) I sold the Forte a number of years ago, so I don't recall the exact mods. The standard xover was a little chintzy. ;)
pmarcin

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:41 am

pmarcin wrote:Shannon,
Did you perform any mods on the xover in the Chorus? I did a straightforward parts upgrade, e.g., Hovland caps, Goertz inductors, new electrolytics, to my Fortes and it made an audible improvement. I also tried Tom Munch's xover and felt my tweak was slightly better. (I remember that it required a passive, daughter board sitting atop the original to contain some of the larger parts.) I sold the Forte a number of years ago, so I don't recall the exact mods. The standard xover was a little chintzy. ;)

You know, I've never opened up my Chorus IIs, though I originally wanted to. I've started fiddling with dedicated crossover boards so I might do a Klipsch one for mine:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MESE:IT

I also have a couple large cabinets that I intend to build some type of Cornwall clone.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby pmarcin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:49 am

Sounds good to me. I think the crossover is attached to the terminals. BTW, the Fortes are great speakers; I sold them because they were too large for my application. That Chorus is the size of a small frig. :$

The 15 in woofer/passive radiator is really impressive.

I use GR Research OB-5s, which have crossovers that are enormous.
pmarcin

Postby Geek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm

AmadeusMozart wrote:...new FFxxxWK drivers 500 hundred hours or more before they starting to sing.

Buddy of mine is a Fostex expert and agrees they need 200+ hours.

Wonder why that is? My Silver Flute + Mark Audio 2-ways took about 50 (???)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to loudspeakers