"best listening position/setup

the weakest link we love so much

"best listening position/setup

Postby nyazzip » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:04 pm

let's say we have a simple stereo setup, 2 speakers, a left and a right.....let's say they are placed 15' apart. should the listening position be around the "3rd point" of an equilateral triangle, guestimated at 13 feet out from the speaker array?
i have noticed better bass perception when my listening spot is well back(farther away) from a "perfect" triangle position. i know the room geometries make a bunch of difference; just wondering what opinions are on where to sit when listening to 2 piece stereo...
nyazzip
KT88

Re: "best listening position/setup

Postby Geek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Oh good grief! That would depend on a lot of factors including room reflectivity, resonances, etc.

Some rooms are so bad that nearfield is the only option. Other rooms like the speakers at a 60 degree angle from you (pure off-axis response).

You need an experienced person to physically be there to answer that question =:o
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:59 pm

You need an experienced person to physically be there to answer that question

true. that ain't likely to happen. just thought there might be a general rule of thumb, despite vagaries in room dimensions. i do prefer the sound back when the room was heavily carpeted, but visual aesthetics sometimes have to win
(b)
nyazzip
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:59 am

Goto Walmart and get you a cal king comforter and throw it on the floor. Comfy.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:57 pm

nyazzip wrote:just thought there might be a general rule of thumb, despite vagaries in room dimensions.

No, sorry :(

I can recommend Floyd Toole's book, Sound Reproduction:
http://www.amazon.ca/Sound-Reproduction ... 0240520092

It's a real guide sans audiophool metaphysics. Ask for a copy @ your library (y)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:58 pm

DeathRex wrote:Goto Walmart and get you a cal king comforter and throw it on the floor. Comfy.

'specially if you have a partner ;)
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Return to loudspeakers