First Budgie SE (Single-ended EL84 amp)

a 3W single ended EL84 amp for home, work & school

First Budgie SE (Single-ended EL84 amp)

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 am

Just got my Budgie SE boards in this past week. The top plate was a prototype board but I went with production amp boards. After some tweaks, it all should be a go. I love this little amp! The chassis is 6x10x2, so its got a tiny footprint.

Shannon

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am

I'm interested! That's a nice layout, any more details?

PS: Don't forget to pick it up before you mow the grass! ;)
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:25 am

I really like that layout too! It reminds me of an amp I once started building...

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... c&start=50

Wish I had finished that amp. Sigh. Anyway, is there an ETA on when the Budgie SE boards will be available?
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 am

I actually have the boards, but I probably need another week to finalize things (BOM and stuff). I'll order top plates at that time, but you needn't wait if you don't want one. The top plates will be gloss black with gold stenciling like my commercial Budgie. This one was a green PCB that I spray painted black along with the Edcor bells. It was tough cramming everything in there, but was doable. Unhappy with a couple items that are fixable (hate the Neutrik headphone jack - switching to an 1/8" jack). But overall, I think it's a contender. I'll have to post some "under the hood" shots later.

Here's a peek at the schematic, but I see a couple small things I haven't fixed yet (went to a 22uF final stage cap, 100k pot, heaters lift to the EL84 cathode voltage, and a couple other things):
http://www.diytube.com/forumpix/budgiese.pdf

It's kind of a Clem ULtra with AC-coupled inputs, headphone jack with my 20/20 scheme and volume pot standard. A perfect amp for the shop, work or school with 3W output from 500mV source, like a smartphone.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Lovin' it! that is so cool (love) [:) (love) [:) (love) [:) O:)

And, no hummmm or buzzz, either [:) ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Looks gorgeous! :))

(not the bees =:o )
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:59 pm

Here's of close-up shot of inside.

Shannon

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:I really like that layout too! It reminds me of an amp I once started building...

Wish I had finished that amp. Sigh. Anyway, is there an ETA on when the Budgie SE boards will be available?

Cool amp, Ty. You still have the spice file handy? I presume you used LTspice?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 pm

separks wrote:You still have the spice file handy?

You've got mail...
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:I really like that layout too! It reminds me of an amp I once started building...

Ty that is one fat Biaaach of a PT. Optical illusion or did it come out of a TV?
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:48 pm

20to20 wrote:Ty that is one fat Biaaach of a PT. Optical illusion?

No illusion. The PT is way oversized for the application, but the price was right. eBay surplus from a couple years back, they weigh roughly ten pounds.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:12 am

separks wrote:Here's of close-up shot of inside.

Close-up shots can be tricky sometimes. My usual technique is to use the macro mode, and make sure the zoom lever is all the way over to wide-angle. If you start using the camera zoom, it loses its ability to focus up close.

Only problem is with a shot like this, the barrel distortion becomes pretty obvious. Sometimes the fix is to use just a little bit of zoom, say maybe zoom up to 2X then back off just a hair. If the camera can still focus up close, it should get rid of the curved lines at the edges of the frame. You may have to back the camera away from the subject, either to properly focus or to get the subject to fit in frame. If it's the first reason, just crop the part you want from the final photo.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:54 am

When I am finished with the heap of projects I have lying around, I surely will add this one to the heap. =:o
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby kku » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 am

Now that is one cute lil amp. At first glance the pot knob looked like small motor run cap to me. [:)
kku

Postby TomMcNally » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Very nice little amp. Can't wait to build one, or two, or three ...

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Next

Return to budgie se