You ALL Need To Try KT77's - (NO---I Am NOT a Salesman)

for Dynaco Mark II/III/IV and DIY PP monoblocks

Postby ptiJean » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:01 am

Greetings from France,

Still happy with your KT77 from JJ ?
I have an EL34 push-pull (Anthem) and wish to replace the quad, I will perhaps buy those KT77 JJ.

I have tried a lot of EL34 : Siemens, National, Svetlala =C=, Tesla (not JJ) and some 6L6, always found that those EL34 like were "thin".

Thank you,
Regards
ptiJean

Postby alexg_ht » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Have any tried the Gold Lion KT88 (current production)? Any feedback?

Thanks
If my boss is a bit more stupid, I have to water him twice a week!
-- Alex F. Gendrano
alexg_ht

Postby EWBrown » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:46 pm

THis actually happened about five years ago, somehow I never got around to posting it here, I'm sure that I put it under another topic,back then.

After I got some J/J KT77s with the normal, correct diameter pins, I put them into an ST-70, and had to reset the bias, as the new KT7s when just plugged in where EL34s used to be, without re-biasing, drew a somewhat lower plate current.

Even though they purportedly are considered as EL34 direct replacements, the gm (higher) and RP (lower) are sufficiently different that bias readjustment is needed in order to make them sound thier best.

They sound very nice, indeed, I took it over to a friend's house, and we ran it very hard, for several hours, and it stood up flawlessly, and sounded great! Even the J/J 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier tube had no problems, some of them will suffer a quick and gloriously pyrotechnic death ,and others will stand up to just about anything that can be thrown at them.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to poseidon