Why Modern CD's Sound So Bad

arcane secrets and handshakes revealed!

Why Modern CD's Sound So Bad

Postby Geek » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:08 am

Some "Test and Measurement" relevent to our hobby =:o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TlQo9k827c

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dcgillespie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:31 am

Very interesting! Once again, good engineering practice is overrun by marketing, greed, and whatever else drives the money machine. Quality? What's that?

Dave
dcgillespie
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:25 pm

i had a brief gig in a warehouse and the workers were listening to top 20, LOUD, all day every day. not only does it come heavily compressed/limited from the studios, but then the radio stations do it again in their broadcasts, and crank the low end up too..... i finally understood "listener /ear fatigue"...its just a barrage of unnatural noise
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:29 am

I visited our local radio station in Dolores. The station always had alot of noise before fade in and after fade out, and I found out why. Soft to loud varies about 3db. He had a little moulation LED level meter, with nothing on, it went from the bottom to about 4 segments up, just noise. With music, it went from the last yellow segment (about 20 up) to the only red segment.

On TV I saw a show about artists complaining about the record companies. One artist said back in the 70s and 80s, hippies decided the old record executives didn't know what they were doing, so the hippies took over. When anyone finds a group with a new sound, the record companies go out and hire all bands that sound like the new good one (Motley Crue started the San Diego big hair bands, Nervana started grundge). One record company did it now all are going to. They know better then you.

The new record execs will not make a CD unless it's going to get close to gold. They have a formula and they aint gonna change it, like hip hop; get a singer and a rapper give them music, BAM $10M.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Return to test & measurement