Fender Tweed Deluxe Clone

a fine line between stupid and clever

Postby EWBrown » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:04 am

I've done plenty of chassis punching, drilling, layouts, etc... I just wanted this one to look extra-good, and so I chose the ready made and silkscreened chromed chassis. Worth the extra bucks, IMHO.

/ed B
Last edited by EWBrown on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Casey4s » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

EWBrown wrote:I've done plenty of chassis punching, drilling, layouts, etc... I just wanted this one to look extra-good, and so I cose the ready made and silkscreened chromed chassis. Worth the extra bucks, IMHO.

/ed B

Sorry,

I am obviously new on this forum.
Casey4s

Postby EWBrown » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:59 pm

No problem, welcome aboard! [:) (b) (wine) (d) (cig) (c) (y)
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby nyazzip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:14 am

hello,
did you ever get any gut-shots of that amp? now that the gloom has settled in, i am inspired once again to tinker in the windowless basement. i have been holding on to an antique PA which seems to have all "the right stuff" for a 5E3-type build(it even has 6sn/sj7 tubes and sockets if i wanted to try an inferior 5C3 or earlier model).
i wouldn't mind trying a point to point build, seeing as i hate to drill this antique chassis full of holes to mount a board for an experimental thing...but i am not nearly bright enough to do it without at least a few photos.....
but now that i think of it, i have all the sockets in place for the 6__7 type preamp tubes...i would love to use them. would they make for an inferior guitar amp, as compared with the 5E3? gerald weber said so.
if anyone knows where i could go to get 5e3 diagrams and pics, please do let me know.
sorry for yet another thread hijack, cheers
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Casey4s » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:26 am

Casey4s

Postby EWBrown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:38 pm

THat is one of the most clear "original" schematics and layouts I've seen on the internet, most are badly scanned and copied.

The 5E3 "Deluxe" design actually does connect the volume control pots "backwards", in that the inputs connects to the wipers and the outputs taken off the "high" end of the pots. (this was not one of the usual "errors" in their schematics)

It looks like this was a first shot of mixing the two separate input channels, and the simple tone "Stack". It works fairly well, but the "taper" of the volume controls is kinda weird.

I'll try for a gut shot sometime, I'll have to remove the back panel, and get some light directed into the chassis depths in order to make it useful.
(My original under the chassis shots did not come out too well,)

The circuitry is simple enough so that point to point wiring could be done neatly, and with good results. I would suggest to just use one input jack per channel, for teh sake of simplicity and neatness. I would have left out the second inpuit for each channel, except that I wanted to make it as faithful to the original design as possible. A few years ago, I started a 5E3 build in a Grommes "Little Jewel" chassis, and got the power supply and PP output section completed, but then the move from NH to NC got in the way, and now it is sitting inside one of many yet to be unpacked boxes in the cellar, two years later :/

For the input stage, a 12AY7 isn't absolutely necessary, it works very well with 12AX7 or 5751. The three different tubes will give you slightly differeing tonal qualities, so it ends up being a matter of personal taste. The 12AY7 has the lowest gain (40) , the 5751 is in-between (70) and the 12AX7, the highest gain (100).

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby bone » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:48 am

dhuebert wrote:Punching holes is not a problem, it's lettering that stumps me. With the extinction of Letraset, lettering is a whole lot more complicated now. I miss Letraset, WAAA!

Don

Hi Don, You can still get Letraset see here http://www.letraset.com/craft/shopdispl ... =Lettering

They do mail order ;)

Tony.
bone

Postby dhuebert » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Wow, sweet, I'll let you know how it works out.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 pm

FWIW, there is an original 50's vintage Fender Deluxe Tweed on fee-bay. listed for the bargain basement price of only $2500 $) =:o :( :/ (666) >:o

Maybe a truckload of these, purchased around 50 years ago, would have been a far better investment than GM stock or pork bellies (lol) $)

Ed you should try an 18 watt marshall clone some day; i finished one last winter and i really couldn't be happier with the tones. it was cheap too(lafayette carcass)

I have an old (what other kind is there... ) Knight 928 6BQ5 PP stereo integrated amp, which sounds, errrr, OK, but it may well serve as the chassis and foundation for an 18-watter design, with the stereo capability, it would be a fairly simple matter to give it a complete makeover and turn it into a PPP 36 watter :)) [:) I won't feel too terribly bad :'( about gutting and rehabbing it, as it was a hamfest cheapie...

/ed B in NC
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to guitar amps