Domino Mica Caps

a fine line between stupid and clever

Domino Mica Caps

Postby S4XAmps » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:39 am

Are the old domino mica caps good for guitar tone? Are they anything like silver mica? I wondering if they can be used for tone stacks, not necessarily for coupling caps.
S4XAmps

Postby Geek » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:49 pm

Yes.
Yes.

and..

Yes.

:)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby S4XAmps » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 pm

What about coupling caps?
S4XAmps

Postby Geek » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Sure!

Personally I'd go for Orange Drops (fat tone) or even ceramics (warm, smooth, fuzzy tone). Silver mica that big for coupling caps tend to be pricey and a little sterile for my tastes.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:25 am

Ceramic caps can add a "flavor" of their own, which is fine for guitar amps, and even an asset at times, but they're definitely NG for hi fi audio, where "flavor" equates to distortion, caused by the ceramic caps' piezoelectric effects.

I've always liked the Orange Drops, they are very good for just about any audio purpose, and the prices are quite reasonable.

The old "domino" or "postage stamp" micas may be off tolerance or leaky, after 50-60 years, as their phenolic bodies tended to be hydroscopic, and moisture could get inside over the decades.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:46 pm

EWBrown wrote:Ceramic caps can add a "flavor" of their own, which is fine for guitar amps, and even an asset at times, but they're definitely NG for hi fi audio, where "flavor" equates to distortion, caused by the ceramic caps' piezoelectric effects.

I've always liked the Orange Drops, they are very good for just about any audio purpose, and the prices are quite reasonable.

On your next blues amp... use the X2 safety caps for coupling and let me know what you think ;)

(linearity checked on a scope as per Steve Bench, they have almost a hysterisis-like curve for nonlinearity and add a... well... super blues tone! :D )

EWBrown wrote:The old "domino" or "postage stamp" micas may be off tolerance or leaky, after 50-60 years, as their phenolic bodies tended to be hydroscopic, and moisture could get inside over the decades.

Indeed!

I have some Mil types here specified for example, "40pf, +0.025pf" that are now measuring 93pf. Wicked!

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby S4XAmps » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:02 am

Thank for all the feedback and more is welcomed. I have used Mallory 150's. Orange Drops, and Sozo's for coupling caps in my Epi Valve Junior build and have been pleased with them all. I agree, the Orange Drops are very reasonable i price and have a wide range of values. I recently went ton a spree with buying vintage caps on ebay and have several different kinds so I ma curious about other's experience before I start my experimenting. I am just trying to tweak out a little extra "Mojo" Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01
S4XAmps

Return to guitar amps