Newby looking for parts and generic guitar amp question

a fine line between stupid and clever

Newby looking for parts and generic guitar amp question

Postby powerdoc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 am

It looks like the iron will be the most expensive part of my amp project which is going to be a low-watt (15 or so) amp to run my basement mono project from an old Fisher tuner/preamp. Are there any sources for transformers that are better priced than others? Also, local Craigslist has a Peavey guitar amp for cheap; are these ALWAYS bad for distortion? Is the high-end limited in response? Can't seem to find reliable info on these. Thanks
powerdoc

Postby cartoonweirdo » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi Powerdoc,

My favorite source for small cheap transformers has always been "junk" radios, record players, and etc. Try goodwill, government institutions, swapmeets, or used electronics stores.

Peavy amps are a sore spot with a lot of people but they can sound great. You want the ones with tubes and you will want to either play it first or pay such a low price for it that you can gut it and start over (they can sound pretty bad too).

As far as limited high end response goes it's usually a GOOD thing in a guitar amp. Most guitar speakers don't make much noise above 8K and I don't think they would sound good if they did. Even as it is most guitar players I know (myself included) sound too bright from time to time (go see some live bands yourself if you don't believe me).

Feel free to use the "crapiest" iron you can find if the price is right and the impedances are close. You may be surprised to see what a great tone you stumble on accidentally, and you can always change it later if you don't like it.

Carl
cartoonweirdo

Return to guitar amps