Affordable Oscilloscope

ask your general tube related questions here

Affordable Oscilloscope

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Anyone ever use one of these handheld scopes? How do you think it would do for DIY tube projects?

http://www.mbelectronics.com/view.aspx?id=147

Thanks,

Robert
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby dcriner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:14 pm

I think for that price, you could get a real, solid-state, dual-trace 'scope (used). With all the various manual controls you might need, and a larger display.

For example, my 20-year-old Hitachi V-222, 20-MHz.
Last edited by dcriner on Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:17 pm

dcriner wrote:I think for that price, you could get a real, solid-state, dual-trace 'scope (used). With all the various manual controls you might need.

For example, my 20-year-old Hitachi V-222, 20-MHz.
Doug

Where would one find such a deal? The problem I see is, by the time you add shipping, the price is more than I want to put into something that is only used occasionally.

Thanks,

Robert
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby dcriner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:20 pm

Robert - In my opinion it's a toy. But it seems you've already decided to buy it, so go ahead.

If you think you don't really need a 'scope that much, then don't buy one. If you need one or want one, then I would suggest getting a real one.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby mesherm » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:44 pm

I actually own one of those Velleman HPS10 scopes and it is not a toy. Mine came bare bones with no back light or case. I paid $90 new plus shippng. It works ok for most audio applications. One thing I like is that it gives you a readout of RMS values in addition to the waveform. One thing I don't like is that even when off it slowly discharges the batteries so if you dont use it for a while take the batteries out or use rechargable.
I like it but I wouldnt pay $199 for one.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Where would one find such a deal?

eBay, of course! Where else? That's where I got my 15 MHz Kikusui. Works just fine, and I probably paid all of forty bucks shipped for the thing.

Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 pm

dcriner wrote:Robert - In my opinion it's a toy. But it seems you've already decided to buy it, so go ahead.

No I have not decided on it. I was wanting to hear opinions on it.

If you think you don't really need a 'scope that much, then don't buy one. If you need one or want one, then I would suggest getting a real one.

I have been looking at ebay and I have not found any deals like the some here have had. In fact the best prices are in the $130-150 plus shipping. For that amount I would rather go with something new and calibrated. A lot of them are of unknown condition, other than "It turns on".

I just wanted to know if this Velleman scope does what it says.

Robert
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:25 pm

mesherm wrote:I actually own one of those Velleman HPS10 scopes and it is not a toy. Mine came bare bones with no back light or case. I paid $90 new plus shippng. It works ok for most audio applications. One thing I like is that it gives you a readout of RMS values in addition to the waveform. One thing I don't like is that even when off it slowly discharges the batteries so if you dont use it for a while take the batteries out or use rechargable.
I like it but I wouldnt pay $199 for one.

One place sells it for $130. I take it your was slightly damaged as it had no backlight.

Robert
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby snitch56 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 am

If you are a gambler you can try:
http://gsaauctions.gov/
Occasionally they have some scopes still in the wrapper that have never been used.

Also, sometimes university’s have surplus auctions that will have some old oscilloscopes. I currently work at a university just north of Chicago and we have been phasing out all our old analog scopes in conjunction with the scopes that have no computer interface. I am just making an assumption that other universities are likely doing the same thing.
snitch56

Postby mesherm » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:20 am

Mine wasn't damaged. The normal HPS10 does NOT have a backlite. Only the HPS10SE (Special Edition) and the HPS40 have a backlite.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby skidave » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 pm

I use a hand held scope from Extech Instruments. I am NOT a big fan of digital 'button' scopes because I am used to knobs. I can't stand menus, but the Extech does not have many menus, it has RMS voltage reading, is two channels with external trigger if necessary, has a backlight and has some auto features. It is great for audio, but lacks resolution for examing noise at the peaks or other detailed things. Look at Techni-Tool for pricing.

I also have a digital storage CRT style Tectronix scope. I use it rarely, but it has great resolution. I wanted to get it calibrated (eventhough I have the service manual), but the cost was too much with shipping.

At work we have a new digital Tectronix scope that has improved functions and less menus. Unfortunately, it is a high dollar scope...

Dave
skidave

Postby Sal Brisindi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:07 pm

Ty_Bower wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Where would one find such a deal?

eBay, of course! Where else? That's where I got my 15 MHz Kikusui. Works just fine, and I probably paid all of forty bucks shipped for the thing.

Yeah, but the trace you are showing is supposed to be a clean sine wave.. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03

Sal
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:45 pm

If all my sines came out clean, I wouldn't need a scope now would I? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
Ty_Bower
KT88

Return to tube 101