my latest speaker box

a fine line between stupid and clever

my latest speaker box

Postby nyazzip » Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 pm

so...how do you guys insert pics into the body of your posts here, anyway...?
so here is my latest creation: a 1x12" guitar speaker box http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/nyazzip/ , using a '50s or '60s Motorola-coded low wattage 12" alnico speaker(which shipped with my ebay "Voice of Music" powered speaker amplifier).
the box is cedar plank, the baffleboard ply. i stained it with Ikea white stain, going for a semi-transparent "blonde" look; used "marshall salt-n-pepper" grillcloth; if you look closely i trimmed it with silver piping. the logo is from a Delta 88 automobile
sounds good, but the speaker breaks up pretty readily with my 5 watt amp, which i haven't yet judged to be cool or annoying. depends on what i'm shooting for i guess, but it leans towards gritty chicago blues rather than san diego surf
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed May 07, 2008 11:52 pm

I love real wood, nice! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_12

Is the breakup from the speaker, or amp?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 am

well, its not natural, its a transparent white which allows the grain to come through. i would like to sun bleach/weather a bunch of stock for future use, but i'm not sure how to do it without warping it...
my "reference" guitar amp is a cheapo epiphone valve junior, because i am familiar enough to know what it does at which volumes. if i play it through a high power speaker, i don't get amp distortion until say 70% or so, and i know the speakers are holding out. but with this speaker, it breaks up at 40% or earlier...sounds cool, but i'm not sure if i want distortion that early.....guess i'll have to build another box, for another speaker!
PS those cedar knots are incredibly hard! the cedar is really resonant, similar to spruce-stiff and light and splintery. on the next cedar box, i want to rent a sandblaster and bring out the grain 3D, like an old Haida beach blasted plank would look
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Thu May 08, 2008 8:27 pm

You don't really need another box, just try another speaker. Do you have anymore 12 inchers?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to guitar amps