What to use....12AX7 or 6SL7???

a DIY, modified Mullard 5-20 monoblock design

What to use....12AX7 or 6SL7???

Postby Guest » Thu May 27, 2004 4:50 pm

Hey group,

Got my Eiclone boards today and wasn't aware that I had the option of using a 12AX7 or 6SL7. The pictures I have seen of completed units have the 12AX7 in them, but I have always liked the look of the larger octal tubes. Anyone else built theirs with the 6SL7?

Regards,
Kelly
ksmolles@sbcglobal.net

Re: What to use....12AX7 or 6SL7???

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu May 27, 2004 6:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey group,

Got my Eiclone boards today and wasn't aware that I had the option of using a 12AX7 or 6SL7. The pictures I have seen of completed units have the 12AX7 in them, but I have always liked the look of the larger octal tubes. Anyone else built theirs with the 6SL7?

Regards,
Kelly
ksmolles@sbcglobal.net

Kelly,
The octal footprint is a new feature in the Rev B Ike. I haven't tested it, myself. :joker: Note the use of the jumpers, as the grid and plate are swapped between the two tube types. Those insisting on paralleling halves can do so with jumper wires. I think I'd just use one half of it (just like the 12AX7), and use the stock circuit values. Impedances and currents are very close, and the gain would be only 1dB less.

I think a 6SL7 would be 'coolest' in a 6B4G Ike. The Ike also supports a CCS in the LTP these days. Testing thus far is very encouraging, but I won't release the full details for a bit.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to eiclone