Which Rectification

ask your general tube related questions here

Which Rectification

Postby skidave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I finally have some time to work on my ST-70. Some quick questions about diode rectification... In another post, I saw some one talking about a CL-90 being used with diode rectification. I have used CL-30s on some other audio projects and liked how they performed in the circuit. If I do go with diode rectification, should a CL-XX be used? Can the high voltage hurt the tubes if they are not warmed up? Anything else I should know when using 'non-tube' rectification. Please help?

This will probably not be a daily use amp, but more of a nice piece to have in the collection.

Thanks,

Dave
skidave

Re: Which Rectification

Postby hilldweller » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:08 pm

skidave wrote:I finally have some time to work on my ST-70. Some quick questions about diode rectification... In another post, I saw some one talking about a CL-90 being used with diode rectification. I have used CL-30s on some other audio projects and liked how they performed in the circuit. If I do go with diode rectification, should a CL-XX be used? Can the high voltage hurt the tubes if they are not warmed up? Anything else I should know when using 'non-tube' rectification. Please help?

This will probably not be a daily use amp, but more of a nice piece to have in the collection.

Thanks,

Dave

Use one of these, I do and you couldn't do better IMHO!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Supply-Delay- ... dZViewItem
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:28 am

http://www.diytube.com/cl.pdf

The CL-30 is a high current IRCL - minimum application is 2.5A. These IRCLs are great for protecting tube rectifiers and diodes with large cap banks, but you'll have to look at a standby switch or relay circuit for slow warm up. Coincidentally, something the 5AR4 does. So if this won't be a 'daily driver', then why not stick with the 5AR4? If it is the original driver board and can cap, I wouldn't recommend the higher voltages.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to tube 101