Road side score

a fine line between stupid and clever

Road side score

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:30 pm

Just picked up a couple cabinets from a neighbor's burn pile yesterday. One's a bass cab for a 15" speaker and the other is a stripped twin 10". Cool!

Now what to put in these guys? I figure I can just drop an Ike into the bass cabinet. I have been known to play bass. But for the twin 10? Hmmm. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_49

Suggestions for a cheap speaker supplier? MP Jones? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

I wanna live where you live!

Postby dhuebert » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:28 am

My buddy Pete got his first job out of high school, get this, building speaker boxes for Garnet. Today he's a very talented cabinet maker and if I can get it all sorted out he will start making cabinets for me. Joe the bassist wants a single 15" driver and any advice as to what to build would be greatly appreciated. I went to a stereo store I know of where they have been building and selling speaker kits since '79 and they made some suggestions, I wonder how applicable this stuff would be to a bass box.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby Guest » Sun May 01, 2005 9:14 am

Playing bass and doing audio DIY seems to be a very common combination Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01 , i noticed this also in other forums.
I also play bass for over 20 years now and build speaker cabs here and then.
If you are searching for not too expensive and good speakers you have to check out Eminence speakers (Delta / Kappa / Delta Pro / Kappa Pro models), their price / performance ratio is really good. They are also used by many commercial speaker builders either as OEM speakers or from the regular line. I like the Kappa Pros for their really deep bass (I'm playing a 5-string), but they are the most expensive line. You can look at http://www.talkbass.com, there are some real experts regarding this issue.

Jochen

DIY bass amp

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon May 02, 2005 6:29 am

Jochen wrote: I like the Kappa Pros for their really deep bass (I'm playing a 5-string), but they are the most expensive line. You can look at http://www.talkbass.com, there are some real experts regarding this issue.

Jochen

Thanks, Jochen - I will check that out for sure. Yes, there are a few of us bass players here on this forum!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon May 02, 2005 10:12 am

very interesting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby EWBrown » Mon May 02, 2005 12:11 pm

In past years, I've owned a Gibson EB0, and more recently, a Fender "Precision" bass, recently sold to a friend who had more use for it than did I. First bass line I ever learned was from the Animals' "We gotta get outa this place" which was also my (1967) high school defacto graduation theme song. Later on got good at the bass line from Hendrix's version of " Hey Joe". Beyond that, I never got around to being really proficient, just doing some noodlin' around and some "fill in" once in a while.

As I remember, some of the SUNN amps used a Dynaco MKIII as the power section, plus their own preamp/control section.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Mon May 02, 2005 5:39 pm

EWBrown wrote:In past years, I've owned a Gibson EB0...

Awesome, Ed! I restored an Gibson EB-3 several years back and I love that little bass - can't get rid of it. I was always able to get a great sound out of it. Was it Jack Bruce with an EB0?

Should've probably bought a Precision or Jazz when I had the chance. I was just too enamored with the Ricks. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13

Anyhow folks, I'll cheap out for now and order the $29 special from Parts Express:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=290-345

Or should I save my money?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby JochenH » Tue May 03, 2005 1:35 am

Hi Shannon,

i donn't know details about your cab, but this this woofer has 2 big disadvantages:

- bad SPL (87.8 dB 1W/1m)
- very high Qts making it not so good for vented / closed cabs.

You can download WinISD for free for simulating this speaker in your cab, this is a nice piece of software.

If price is really an issue, i would try

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-410&DID=7 instead.

Jochen
JochenH

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue May 03, 2005 6:14 am

JochenH wrote:Hi Shannon,

i donn't know details about your cab, but this this woofer has 2 big disadvantages:

- bad SPL (87.8 dB 1W/1m)
- very high Qts making it not so good for vented / closed cabs.

You can download WinISD for free for simulating this speaker in your cab, this is a nice piece of software.

If price is really an issue, i would try

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-410&DID=7 instead.

Jochen

Thanks a ton for the feedback, Jochen. Yes, that driver looks much better. The cab looks to be about 4 cubic feet. I'll check out WinISD, too. This is a nifty entry into DIY speaker design! BTW, I have AudioTester and an M-Audio card in my shop so I'll be able to get some real cool data on this project.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

MCM

Postby EWBrown » Tue May 03, 2005 7:37 am

MCM (now a part of Newark Electronics) has a huge veriety of instrument and hi-fi speakers, might have something appropriate for your cabs.

I don't remember the URL, (I usedd to grab onto the URL fron "Doc's Stash" on Bottlehead, but he has since sold those speakers and removed the link). I know, call me lazy.... I'm the "Wrong Way Corrigan" of the Internet Navigation World...

I've pretty much left the world of the Lower Octaves, but I still have some vintage six stringers: Fender Jazzmaster that I bought from a friend for cheap, way back in 1968, Gibson Les Paul "Studio" I bought in the late 80s and a real ugly "beater", but eminently playable Gibson SG that still remains my favorite player. Nope, don't currently have a proper guitar amp... I suppose I'll have to correct that situation one of these days.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Guitar Amps

Postby JB » Sun May 08, 2005 6:56 am

If you guys are interested in guitar amps, check out www.18watt.com and www.ax84.com. These guys are heavily into DIY tube guitar amps and there are some pretty god tech guys there too. I think the folks here will find a lot in common.
JB

Return to guitar amps