Rewiring microwave transformers; wire gauge question

a fine line between stupid and clever

Rewiring microwave transformers; wire gauge question

Postby Proschuno » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:25 pm

So as the title suggests I plan on taking out the secondary coils and rewiring the two microwave transformers to build a 30-40W class AB guitar amp that I am designing (exact wattage is yet to be determined). One will act as a 400-0-400 power transformer, the other as the output. I know purchasing transformers wired to my specifications is much better, but I have these two transformers and I would rather spend 20-50 $ on copper vs. 100$ on transformers. I'm just looking to throw together my first tube amp from scratch with all the tubes I have on college-kid budget, I'll worry about perfecting sound later.

My question is what gauge of copper would suit each of the transformers, and what would be the best way of modifying the output tranny for better frequency response?
Proschuno

Re: Rewiring microwave transformers; wire gauge question

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 am

The most definitive DIY info I've seen is Patrick Turner's info here (heavily references RDH4 if you can get a copy from the library):
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/education+diy.html

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Re: Rewiring microwave transformers; wire gauge question

Postby Damien83 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:19 pm

I'd also be interested in hearing the answer to this question as I was thinking of doing exactly the same thing!

I've re-wound these things for lead acid battery charging. you probably already know this but make sure you get all the space filled and make solid spot welds when re-assembling them therwise they hum mechanically like all hell.
Don't worry, don't be afraid, EVER.
Because this - Is just a ride. Bill Hicks
Damien83

Return to guitar amps