Low output from original 5F2A tweed princeton Help needed

a fine line between stupid and clever

Low output from original 5F2A tweed princeton Help needed

Postby u2bela » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:17 pm

I have an original tweed princeton that I am having a problem with. It powers up and sounds ok except for the fact that it is about half as loud as it should be. I have had a silverface champ and have a valve jr that are both in the same power range and this thing isn't getting anywhere close to as loud as it should be. Now to the list of things that I have tried so far with no luck. I started with known good tubes, I tried switching in a different OT, cleaned the sockets and pots and have now tried switching out all of the resistors and all of the capacitors except for the filter caps. None of the caps in the amp were original, they had been replaced with sprague atoms and orange drops. All of the voltages seem to be within tolerance but I will list them below. The only things left are the tube sockets, filter caps, pots and PT. Everything that I have switched out so far I have had lying around, but the other stuff I will have to order and isn't exactly free so I figured I would ask some people that have a lot more experience than I do before I swap anything else. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Readings at tube sockets with 119VAC:
12AX7
1. 186
2. 0
3. 1.4
4&5 6.8VAC
6. 192
7. 0
8. 1.3

6V6
1&2 grounded
3. 354
4. 328
5. 0
6. 328
7. 6.8VAC
8. 21

5y3
2&8 368
4&6 309VAC
u2bela

Postby Geek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:51 am

I'd say somebody put in a less efficient speaker (or wrong impedance).

Try borrowing a buddies cab and see how it sounds.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to guitar amps