piezo pickup

a fine line between stupid and clever

piezo pickup

Postby buildingampproject » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:38 pm

What would be the difference between a tube amp designed to amplify the signal from a mic, compared to a piezo pickup? I understand this is in the preamp that could be either integrated or apart but, I am guessing the difference is in the circuit. If you know please comment, thanks.
buildingampproject

Postby Geek » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi,

Input impedance. Piezo need high input impedance (tubes are a natural for them) to the treble isn't extinguished.

They are also capacitive, rather than inductive, so it's possible an L-C input network is needed to remove RF pickup.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:48 pm

As I recall, piezo pickups require a fairly high first grid / loading resistance, on the order of 10 megohms, in order to not lose their full frequency response.

Usually the first high-mu amplidication stage will have a 10 megohm grid resistor, and the cathode is directly connected to the signal ground, with no cathode biasing, the grid gets its bias voltage a combination of "grid leak" and "contact" potential. Think very "old school" for this design.

I haven't experiment with piezos and their perticular requirements and issues, in a LONG time....

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby buildingampproject » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:09 am

So, if I understand for piezo is needed a high input impedance so, to get a signal from an acoustic guitar using a microphone is the opposite low input impedance, correct?
Then, using a microphone you don't want to lose frequency response either, how do you do in this case?
Think that my questions are in order to design one or two tube amplifiers for acoustic guitar using a piezo pickup or just a microphone, and I believe only one amp will be good for just one guitar. And my aim is low distortion "Point One" to amplify just the best the guitar can do by itself. I guess this is what "pure" means.
Thank you both!!
buildingampproject

Postby dhuebert » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 pm

You can build a normal input circuit but make the grid leak resistor 10 megs. It works, I've done in on most of my guitar amps. You can't do it on anything with a capacitor coupled output tho since the cap will charge on the positive going signal but won't dicharge enough on the negative cycle and the tube will slowly go into saturation. Look at the front end of the Bass-O-Matic.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby Gingertube » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:24 pm

The 10M (well >= 4.7M) is recommended for PASSIVE crystal pickup.
This is actually a bit too high for normal guitar pickups and you will hear evidence of peaking from the pickup.
I use a series 1M and 10M resistor as the grid leak with a switch across the 10M. Switch ON for "NORMAL" (1M input Z), switch OFF for "PASSIVE CRYSTAL" (1M +10M = 11M)
Cheers,
Ian.
Gingertube

Postby Geek » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Beautifully simple solution, Ian :))

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to guitar amps