Tube preamp kit for guitar?

a fine line between stupid and clever

Tube preamp kit for guitar?

Postby joeriz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any good tube guitar preamp kits being sold? I've searched the web quite a bit but haven't really found much of anything. I'd be interested in something along the lines of a vintage Fender preamp clone.

Alternatively, has anyone here ever modified an old tube hifi preamp for guitar use?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Joe
joeriz

Postby Gingertube » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:42 am

You could try London Power in Canada. They have a number of different guitar preamps. BF fender is certainly one of them.
http://www.londonpower.com/
Also look at Ted Weber, not sure if he does just preamp kits or only full amp kits.
http://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm

Probably lots of others but these are 2 I have dealt with and was happy with.

Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Postby joeriz » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks very much. I checked with Weber and they do not offer preamp kits...full amps only.

The London Power kits look like a possibility.

Thanks again,
Joe
joeriz

Re: Tube preamp kit for guitar?

Postby Scott Novak » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:06 am

joeriz wrote:Alternatively, has anyone here ever modified an old tube hifi preamp for guitar use?

My first guitar amp was an old Heathkit integrated mono Hi Fi amp. Then I went through a number of solid state amps until I built a tube preamp from scratch. I do cringe at the thought of the solid state graphic equalizer that I used for tone control.

Schematics are available for most of the guitar amps around. If there is one in particular that you like, just copy the preamp section.

You can help it along and build regulated filament supplies for the tubes to reduce hum and keep a stable cathode temperature regardless of the line voltage.

Scott Novak
Scott Novak

Postby ChrisAlbertson » Sat May 12, 2012 7:25 pm

joeriz wrote:Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any good tube guitar preamp kits being sold? I've searched the web quite a bit but haven't really found much of anything.

Joe

Joe,

Are you still looking? One thing to remember is that every full amp has a preamp. Just don't install the power tube and output transformer.

But if you like that Fender style tone in depends on the power section driving negative feedback to the preamp. A stand alone preamp would not sound the same way. So, what some people do is build a 5 to 8 watt amp run a dummy load across the speaker terminals.

Now for a more direct answer. Look here:
http://www.ax84.com/corepreamps.html
There are several to choose from.
ChrisAlbertson

Postby wyatt » Wed May 16, 2012 8:07 am

ChrisAlbertson wrote:
joeriz wrote:Hello all,

Does anyone know if there are any good tube guitar preamp kits being sold? I've searched the web quite a bit but haven't really found much of anything.

Joe

Joe,

Are you still looking? One thing to remember is that every full amp has a preamp. Just don't install the power tube and output transformer.

But if you like that Fender style tone in depends on the power section driving negative feedback to the preamp. A stand alone preamp would not sound the same way. So, what some people do is build a 5 to 8 watt amp run a dummy load across the speaker terminals.

Now for a more direct answer. Look here:
http://www.ax84.com/corepreamps.html
There are several to choose from.

It's not just about leaving off the Pi and power amp, you also want the output impedance/voltage to be right.

Typically this means adding a cathode-follower final stage to designs like Fender's AB763 (Blackface) preamp.
wyatt

Postby ChrisAlbertson » Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 am

wyatt wrote:Typically this means adding a cathode-follower final stage to designs like Fender's AB763 (Blackface) preamp.

I think you are right. If the preamp is going to drive other equipment through a cable then it is good to have a driver from the cable. A cathode follower is good for that and adds nothing to the sound and has no gain. Any "left over" triode section can work.

Those schematics I linked to assume you would place the power section in the same chassis
ChrisAlbertson

Postby Scott Novak » Wed May 16, 2012 9:59 am

ChrisAlbertson wrote:A cathode follower is good for that and adds nothing to the sound and has no gain. Any "left over" triode section can work.

While any triode will work as a cathode follower, a 6DJ8 has about the lowest impedance you can get in an audio tube and can drive cables much better. A 12AX7 on the other hand does not make a great cathode follower because of it's high impedance.

Also, when the load resistance is too low, the gain of a cathode follower drops way down below unity. People forget about the loading effects on a cathode follower.

Scott Novak
Scott Novak

Return to guitar amps