traynor guitar mate

a fine line between stupid and clever

traynor guitar mate

Postby nyazzip » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 pm

i just obtained a very clean (albeit modified)specimen of a Traynor YGM-3 "guitar mate" combo. the design allegedly resembles a fender deluxe reverb(PP, reverb, tremolo).
problem is, the amp is not functioning correctly, it has a "spitty" distorted sound at any level. i haven't checked voltages yet; i opened it up and noticed an "auricap" on the plate of the 1st 12ax7(anode>capacitor>volume pot) which seems like the polarity might be reversed. the schem doesn't indicate polarity. attached is a photo of the suspect cap. anyone know if this is right? i'm sorry for the dummy question.
next step is to desolder and reverse and see what happens i guess.....

<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun May 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi,

Auricaps are polypropylene and non-polarized. The "polarization" of them has been the subject to religious jihads on boards (sick)

HiFi caps tend to really bugger up guitar amp tone anyway. IMO, get rid of it and put an orange drop in there ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sun May 22, 2011 5:54 pm

ok, i didn't study it, i just saw one lead was red and the other black, so i assumed....
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun May 22, 2011 7:39 pm

One is outside foil, which is misconstrued as polarization. In a bypass case, it's the one that goes to the ground side to avoid electrostatic coupling.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Gingertube » Sun May 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Greg,
Actually (for lowest noise) the outside foil of a coupling cap needs to go to the circuit side which exhibits the lowest impedance to 0V.
Usually that means the driving side tube anode - exactly the opposite of the way most folks wire them.
BUT
In most circuits you won't notice a "Rodents Hind Quarters" difference.
Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Return to guitar amps