Not a diy

a fine line between stupid and clever

Not a diy

Postby synthecks » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Getting to the point, I recently got a class a tube amp from 1965.
Its been modded (line out added) but still has a 2 prong cord.
When I go straight from my guitar to amp theres very little noise, when I use my true bypass pedal board I get a loud, sustained high frequency type tone.
My board sounds fine in front of my fender tube amp from the 70s and in any other amp Ive ever used with it.

Any ideas?
synthecks

Re: Not a diy

Postby ChrisAlbertson » Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 am

synthecks wrote:Getting to the point, I recently got a class a tube amp from 1965.
Its been modded (line out added) but still has a 2 prong cord.
When I go straight from my guitar to amp theres very little noise, when I use my true bypass pedal board I get a loud, sustained high frequency type tone.
My board sounds fine in front of my fender tube amp from the 70s and in any other amp Ive ever used with it.

Any ideas?

Would help a lot if you traced out the circuit as foe as the first stage. "a class a tube amp from 1965" is not very descriptive.

As for it sounding good on a Fender tube amp they all have 68K grid stoppers on the first stage grides and 1M grid leak resisters. If there is any difference in the noise I'd think it is because the old amp from 65 has different input network. You might mod the amp to use the Fender design
ChrisAlbertson

Return to guitar amps