I De Tweeded my 5F6A Bassman! !

a fine line between stupid and clever

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:33 pm

The MV pot halves are grounded correctly in the second picture.

However, the bias supply is still connected in the wrong place. The bias supply is connected to the two 100K resistors, which connect the bias supply to the two sides of the signal path, at the junction between the second coupling cap and the 1K5 resistor (on each side).

Take a look at this schematic...
http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~jc/73_JoePiazza_YGM34.gif
....notice how the bias supply is connected to the 6BQ5 output tube grids through the two 100K resistors. That should get you in the right ballpark.
Greg Smith

Postby Casey4s » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:17 pm

Sooner or later I am going to figure this out...

Casey4s

Postby Casey4s » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:52 pm

As soon as I posted the last schematic I could see the problem but I am not allowed to edit so here is the correct rendition. (I hope)

Casey4s

Postby Geek » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:33 pm

Why are you sticking with that double volume pot again... ? (???)

If you insist on it, use a heckuva good one, like this:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 2541S28-ND
Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:36 am

I am a big proponent of the post-PI ganged MV. You can get some great overdrive tone from an overdriven PI. However, an overdriven PI can sound fizzy - you need to filter some of that out. An AC30-style cut control would be a good idea.

Why is a high-quality pot such a necessity here, as opposed to a plain-jane Alpha pot?

Greg
Greg Smith

Postby Geek » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Why is a high-quality pot such a necessity here, as opposed to a plain-jane Alpha pot?

Because their tracking is horrible.

Actually, those PEC's are the exact same ones Alessandro rebrands as their own and doubles the price ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:54 am

Is it just the audio taper pots that track horribly, or the linear ones as well? I don't know how much the tracking errors would matter in the lo-fi world of guitar amplifiers. What I WOULD be concerned about is one of the wiper contacts becoming intermittent and losing drive to one half of the output stage.

I always thought those Allesandro pots looked eerily similar to the PECs....
Greg Smith

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi,

It's a lot of them. I've tested Alpha, Bourns, CTS, PEC and Black Velvet... the PEC and Black Velvet were the only ones to track beyond my meters ability to differentiate on the cobbled bridge.

As for will it matter? Not likely below a certain point (like 5% diff).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby Casey4s » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Most of the moderately priced pots are not true audio taper but rather several straight lines overlaid into a lumpy arch in that taper. That's why so many track badly.
Casey4s

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Yes, 4-6 steps of "logarithm".

The Precision and Alps (Blue and Black Velvet) pots are true log.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:24 am

Orange Amps uses the post PI master volume with great success in their "Tiny Terror".

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby Casey4s » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

I prefer the post PI MV over the pre PI version. I like controling the output power the way a post PI does.

I originally had a double Bournes pot in the MV and I hated the feel of the pot so I opted for the Alpha because I was in a hurry but want to get a Clarostat or PEC if I can find one. I like the cheap Alpha better than the Bournes.

In my Active tone stack I had Bournes pots and didn't like the feel of those either so I used 3 linear Clarostat pots there.

My Gain and Presence pots are CTS which I really like the feel of.

I haven't tried any PEC yet but want to try some on a project.
Casey4s

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 pm

I actually used a 500k dual linear pot for my PPIMV. It was all I had on hand at the time. Surprisingly, the rate of volume increase as I adjust the volume does not sound abnormal, as I thought it might with a linear pot.
Greg Smith

Postby Casey4s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:47 am

In the original Weber Schematic, it calls for 3, 500K Audio pots, but they wouldn't center and made the controls act funny so I replaced the three Bournes audio pots with the Clarostat Linear pots, and it's much better.
Casey4s

Postby Casey4s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Geek wrote:Why are you sticking with that double volume pot again... ? (???)

If you insist on it, use a heckuva good one, like this:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... 2541S28-ND
Cheers!

Thanks for this link. I see they (PEC) will make custom combinations for you, that's pretty cool.

I wonder if they make a dual concentric pot? A good quality 1M & 100K in a concentric configuration would be a great find for my next amp MOD.
Casey4s

PreviousNext

Return to guitar amps