diytube 5F1 amp

a fine line between stupid and clever

diytube 5F1 amp

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:54 pm

Here's a project I worked on back in 2004 when I considered doing a guitar amp for Triode Electronics. I was almost completed with it (i.e. wiring up the Switchcraft 12A's) when I lost interest, mainly since I'm not a guitar player and felt I couldn't support it properly. It is a clone of the Fender 5F1 all-on-one-PCB. Anyhow, my great tube buddy Thermion just took up guitar playing recently and I thought it would be a good chance to resurrect this from the junk pile. Just played my bass on it a few minutes ago and I really dig it. I'll let Thermion work on some kind of enclosure - I'm done. The speaker is a Rauland 7" PA speaker with a 1974 datecode.

For the shielded signal wiring I used the ubiquitous CDROM audio cable. I think I will use those in my next release (a preamp). They're very cheap, easy to get and perform well.

Happy New Year, guys!

Shannon

###############################################

Mind you, this was a prototype:

Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:40 pm

Nice! Is this possibly a new DIYtube board in the making? (love)

I spot a three-legged SS device in there, is that a LM334Z CCS? (???)

Definuitely not in the original 1950's Champ or Princeton design...

I wonder how a 6AV5GA-based "5F1" would sound... :/
/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:42 am

Nah, Ed. After seeing everyone else's retro guitar amps, I think there are a million better options already out there. Plus I think the mythos of capacitor types and wire-wrapped turret boards are part of the guitar amp hobby that a diytube design couldn't buck.

The SS device is an odd one I'd forgotten about. It is a LM317 TO-92 CCS for cathode biasing of the 6V6. It is unjumpered in this unit so I left it in there. The power dissipation is probably right at the max. I honestly don't remember what I was thinking. Thermion can yank it if he feels it ruins his tone. (lol)

Interesting idea on the 6AV5! BTW - I have a single 6V6 in a big ST bottle that looks *exactly* like a rebased 42. See many of these? I'd like to put a quad in the Rustiest ST70.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to guitar amps