tube tape recorder into guitar amp

a fine line between stupid and clever

tube tape recorder into guitar amp

Postby doublebass » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:23 pm

i have a Webcor 210 tape recorder.

i changed the in/out jacks to 1/4 inch and am now able to use an external speaker cabinet as well as a guitar for the input.

the actual tape player component of the machine is mounted directly above the amp and weighs about 20 lbs. i plan on building a new box for the amp so i removed the hubs.

i disconnected the wires coming from the record/playback heads, and another 3 that seemed to be coming from the motors for each reel.

(could i use the wires that were going to the heads as a new 2nd perhaps rca input?)

now when i try to turn it on.... nothing.

doesn't power up at all.

anyone have any ideas?

i am including some pictures pointing to the areas where i removed wires.

photos here

also: theres a switch on the top of the chassis that i never noticed before and have no idea what it does.
Last edited by doublebass on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
doublebass

Re: tape recorder into tube amp.

Postby Writer Frog » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:45 pm

i plan on building a new box for the amp so i removed the reels.

Reels are not part of the tape recorder. Did you mean the hubs, and their associated mechanism?

i disconnected the wires coming from the record/playback heads, and another 3 that seemed to be coming from the motors for each reel.

Why did you do this?

now when i try to turn it on.... nothing.
doesn't power up at all.

1. Is it plugged in?
2. Is the fuse blown?
3. Have you tried re-connecting all the wires that you disconnected?

At any rate, if you are going to partially disassemble this tape recorder, it is a good idea to look at the schematic so that you would know what to do with which wires for whatever you are trying to do.

Good luck!
/Matt
Writer Frog

Postby doublebass » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 am

yes thats what i meant. the hubs.

i disconnected them because i no longer wish to use any aspect of the tape player. i just want to use the amp.

no blown fuses or tubes, its plugged in. just no power. nothing lights up. it was working fine before.
doublebass

Re: tube tape recorder into guitar amp

Postby Brik » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Doublebass,

doublebass wrote:i disconnected the wires coming from the record/playback heads, and another 3 that seemed to be coming from the motors for each reel.

You most likely disconnected the 3 wires to the motor/auto shutoff switch (see below inside the red circle):
The two of the three wires that you disconnected carried the source current. You can connect pin 1 and pin 3 (shown as the green wire) to restore the power.
Just be sure that you connect the correct pins, or else your fuse will complain...
/b
Brik

Return to guitar amps