Amp ideas from some spare parts.

a fine line between stupid and clever

Amp ideas from some spare parts.

Postby Blooze » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

For a little background I've got a 1976 silverface VibroChamp and a 2000 Peavey 5150 combo.

I've always liked the Tweed Deluxe sound, but have never been able to afford it. I've made a promise to myself that after I've reached some new guitar playing goal I intend to treat myself to one of the Tweed Deluxe kits out there (Mission probably).

In the meantime I've got access to a 3x8x16" hammond chassis, a 7C5 with socket, and numerous 12AX7/12AT7/12AY7/ecc83's with sockets. I also have a Hammond 273X power trafo, a OPT from a 6L6 PP hammond organ along with the speaker and PT from said organ, and a PP trafo from a 6AQ5 amp. I've got a couple of 6V6's I think in the stash somewhere as well.

I've never thought about putting together a guitar amp, but thought it might be some fun.

Any ideas?
Blooze

Re: Amp ideas from some spare parts.

Postby Geek » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Blooze wrote:I've always liked the Tweed Deluxe sound, but have never been able to afford it.

Great bang for the buck:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits.htm

1/2 the Tweed sound comes from the amp. The other 1/2 comes from the speaker and cab.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Blooze » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks. Just love that tweed sound. Makes me wish I'd never sold my strat years ago. That'll have to be replaced as well :)

I've looked at the Weber, Mojo, Mission, and tubedepot kits. Most all the info I've found says that if you need any support that Mission is the way to go. Weber and Mojo forget it. Tubedepot kits are pretty new at the game, but they have video tutorials on the build plus a step by step manual which is nice. Not that this is a hard, difficult circuit or anything.
Blooze

Postby Geek » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

Luckily, a modern Strat can be had reasonably and sound not too bad.

Go for the kit you feel most comfortable with, but do get a Jensen or Weber speaker for the cab ;-)

Weber has great peer support through their forum (they have a REAL forum now, not that hideous threadded thing anymore).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby jonnyeye » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:24 am

For something you put together yourself, the 273X with a 5Y3 should give about 370V @ 100ma+, easily running a pair of 6V6s or 6L6s in cathode bias PP, with plenty of heater current for whatever preamp circuitry you desire. I imagine that the organ PT will be somewhat similar in capacity. The 6AQ5 OPT will probably be too small for any amp with these kinds of voltages (unless you were to go choke input... nah) so I'd try to figure out the impedance ratio of the organ OPT and go from there (it'll likely be in the range of 4-6kCT primary). You can run 6V6s on a big range of loads (I've got one amp with 6V6s at 320V plate which sounds good using a Hammond 125D at 11.6kCT!), but 6.6k-8k is the norm.

...or you could just order a kit and be done with it. ;)
Vacuum tubes: now (mostly) chemical free!
jonnyeye

Postby Blooze » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:04 am

jonnyeye wrote:...or you could just order a kit and be done with it. ;)

I could, but I want to justify having it. Which means getting better at playing, etc..... I want to feel worthy of a new amp :)
Blooze

Postby EWBrown » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:30 am

Triode Electronics is also working up a complete Tweed "Deluxe" kit, to be released in the near future. Meanwhile, they have all the basic parts, including a ready to use punched chassis, turet boards, complete amp-only kits, and the tweed cab and Jensen speakers, sold separately

I have recently built the amp using their chassis, iron and turet board, and got it working last weekend. Next is to order the cab and speaker.

I am using an E-H 12AY7/6072 for now, as I didn't have any of these in NOS or UOS (Used Old Stuff) in my stash =:o

I started out with some well-used but still good GE (VofM marked) 6V6GTs and then tried a pair of the J/J 6V6S. The J/Js have a much beefier plate and internal structure, they look more like mini-6L6GCs than standard 6V6GTs. At this point the jury is still out... [:)

I suppose that I'll have to try sticking in another 12AX7 up front, in ithe 12AY7's place just to hear the difference, whether good or bad... Can't do any harm and the worst possibility is that it will just sound krappy (sick) =:o :'( I see that Weber gets away with doing this, so maybe it won't be too bad, after all...

/ed B in NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Casey4s » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 pm

A 5751 is another good alternative to the 12AY7 in that first slot of Tweed amps.

EDIT:

Actually it would be interesting to try a 12DW7 in that slot for two different qualities to the two channels.

Just a thought..
Casey4s

Postby EWBrown » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:57 pm

And of course, the 12AX7 works just fine in place of the 12AY7, just more gain (about 2X as much).

One could branch out with 5965, 6414, etc, just for the "halibut" ;) (lol)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to guitar amps