Most Expensive Tube Amp?

a fine line between stupid and clever

Most Expensive Tube Amp?

Postby BudP » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:49 am

What's the most expensive tube-type guitar amp you've seen? Whatever you THINK it is, check out the auction that ended yesterday on Ebay for an old 1950's Standel 25L15 - $16,521! (Item #260368282469) At 25w that's about $660/watt, and well above my budget!
BudP

Postby Cygnus X1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 am

Dumble, by far.
I don't have an ebay link right now, but here is good quote from a collector's site:

Dumble
Howard Alexander Dumble started making amps in the late 1960’s. The name, “Dumble Amps” creates awe in players and collectors. About 250 amps have been handmade by him. His amps are considered by many to be the best in the world. In recent years, attempts have been made to copy his amps with limited success. The preamp circuitry is covered with a dark rubber silicone material to avoid exact copies of his circuits. Each amp is crafted and tuned for the purchaser, using the very best components and materials. Changes to his circuits and designs have evolved through the years, making it even harder to copy one of these amps. These amps are available in 50, 100, and 150 watt variations in either head or combo form. Attaining one of these amps is very costly and difficult. On the used market they cost up to $25,000, and rarely come up for sale. The cost for a new one is unknown, because he’s unable to be reached without a close personal contact. Dumble is rumored to be a recluse and various stories about his demeanor and business ethics are legendary. His amps are considered the Holy Grail, and a benchmark others try to achieve
Cygnus X1

Postby wyatt » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Cygnus X1 wrote:Dumble, by far.

... on the used market they cost up to $25,000, and rarely come up for sale ...

I believe used D*mbles now go for twice that.
wyatt

Return to guitar amps