Doc Bottlehead's new guitar amp

a fine line between stupid and clever

Doc Bottlehead's new guitar amp

Postby EWBrown » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:46 am

Nice little 6V6 SEP parafeed design, with tremolo and 10 inch Eminence hemp cone speaker (for that smokin' blues sound) Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bottl ... 33929.html

Since he mentions Valco/Supro amps, I'll add this URL for these vintage beauties:

http://www.valcoamp.com/index.html

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby wyatt » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 am

I'm going to be honest, as a guitarist, I tend to avoid guitar amps by hi-fi people. There are two different mentalities between home audio and guitar amps, it's truly hi-fi vs. lo-fi and for most (including the great Leo Fender), it's impossible to switch back and forth.

I'm also a bit jaded since a Conrad Johnson designer once tried to ruin a vintage Fender amp of mine. "Why in the world would anyone want distortion from the power tubes?" he asked. he also cut clean through a rare faceplate to mount a switch that didn't fit. That's why I do my own tube work these day.
wyatt

Postby Geek » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:33 am

wyatt wrote:I'm also a bit jaded since a Conrad Johnson designer once tried to ruin a vintage Fender amp of mine. "Why in the world would anyone want distortion from the power tubes?" he asked.

Oooh, I've had to "reverse-fubar" a couple of amps done like that :(
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

6CZ5, the poor man's 6973

Postby EWBrown » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:24 am

If you go here:

http://www.valcoamp.com/buyersguide.html

and read down the page, it has an interesting suggestion for those amps which used 6973s. Since these tubes are rare and expensive, he states that 6CZ5s will work as a very good replacement. He mentions that pins 1 and 8 can be connected together, to insure that G2 is connected.

I'll post this in another "tube 101" topic.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby wyatt » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Geek wrote:
wyatt wrote:I'm also a bit jaded since a Conrad Johnson designer once tried to ruin a vintage Fender amp of mine. "Why in the world would anyone want distortion from the power tubes?" he asked.

Oooh, I've had to "reverse-fubar" a couple of amps done like that :(

I just had the amp in question opened up for the first time in years. When the guy reamed my faceplate and chassis for the new power switch, he actually put a death cap back in on the switch as well. Really? Who the heck puts one in an amp? There is already the stock death cap on the fuse.

I clipped both out.
wyatt

Return to guitar amps