Does anyoone recognize this amp?

a fine line between stupid and clever

Does anyoone recognize this amp?

Postby pchilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:39 am

Hi,

I picked this thing up tonight. Not a name or identifying mark on it to be found. I haven't been inside the chassis yet, doesn't appear to be anything inside anyway.
I will post some better pics tomorrow, I left my good camera at work.

It sports an 8" speaker with not code on it. It has 3 tubes, one 12AX7 branded "Ten", one 6AV6 branded "NEC" and one 6AQ5 branded "Ten". Two prong plug with a power transformer and an audio transformer. Three inputs, two normal and one "treble". It has tremolo with speed and depth controls and a footswitch jack.

Anyone recognize this thing?

Thanks

Last edited by pchilson on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pchilson

Postby TomMcNally » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:24 am

I would venture a guess that it's a mid to late 60's
Japanese made amplifier that was sold by various
department stores. They probably had a stick on
label on the front panel that has fallen off.

... tom
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Geek » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:00 pm

That chassis/board looks like the power amp from a reel-to-reel I worked on this spring. Can't think of the brand, had a VOX-like crown on the front and made in Japan with the cheapest possible components (one wouldn't complain about Chinese parts at all after seeing this thing).

If commercial, definately Japanese, but maybe a homebrew job?

That "Tolex" looks like the stuff that covers sundecks nowadays.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby pchilson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm

I had the amp apart for cleaning and fixing some things. Someone I correspond with has said Japanese, Teisco or Sterling possibly. There is no identifying marks anywhere. All the resistors and caps are Japan Rubycon so it sounds like the Japan made is accurate. I have no clue.
The pots are a bit scratchy and the Tremolo works ok at times an not others, maybe the 6AV6 tube driving it is dodgy. Other than kinda cheap it does sound ok. I will keep it around for a short while and then try to move it as trade bait or somesuch...

pchilson

Postby pchilson » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:01 pm

Just finished recapping the amp. All the funkiness has disappeared. Cost me about $10 for caps and a jewel lamp.
Sounds decent, kinda raw. Breaks up early, tone control has much effect and the tremolo is just ok if you leave it low. All in all not a bad amp but a pain in the butt to work on.
I'll jam on it for a couple weeks and see what I think then.
Last edited by pchilson on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pchilson

Postby erichayes » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:12 am

Fujitsu TEN was (and is) a Japanese OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) that made everything from car radios to hi-fi amplifiers back in the 60s and continuing to the present.

Finding schematics for amplifiers of this genre--regardless of manufacturer--can be an adventure. I'll try to provide assistance, if asked.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby pchilson » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:29 am

erichayes wrote:Fujitsu TEN was (and is) a Japanese OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) that made everything from car radios to hi-fi amplifiers back in the 60s and continuing to the present.

Finding schematics for amplifiers of this genre--regardless of manufacturer--can be an adventure. I'll try to provide assistance, if asked.

I have no clue what "brand" the amp is or model. Any resource you can provide would be interesting to see. Thanks
pchilson

Postby pchilson » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:09 pm

I've been all over looking for one that resembles this one and no matches yet. The closest looking one I saw was a Teisco but it was only similar in shape. I've heard Sterling, Teisco, Danelectro and Masco. I figured by putting it out on several forums in front of enough eyes someone would see it and remember the day...

No hits yet...

Thanks
pchilson

Return to guitar amps