Traynor MK3

a fine line between stupid and clever

Postby dhuebert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:06 pm

it remains noisier than i prefer

What kind of noise specifically? I have quietened several amps recently. Depending on how it is constructed there is a lot you can do. I made some simple changes to a tagboard style amp that killed ~ 90% of the front end buzz. The point to point amps are the easiest to modify. Two quick easy mods: Is the preamp power supply filter cap in the same can with with the rest of the power supply? (ie are all the filter caps in the same multisection can cap). If so, give the preamp its own filter cap. This has really worked well for me. Where is the preamp grounded? If you can, ground everything up to the tone controls to the input jack. Replace the metal jacks with plastic ones and ground them to incoming power ground. Put a three prong power cord on the amp if you haven't already. I have made a couple of buzzy old Garnets dead quiet with these mods.

Having said all that: I have a friend with an Ampeg Gemini that resisted modification due to the printed circuit board design.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

i would describe the noise as "bad ground" buzz. still seems like 60 hz, but trebely, not "BMMMMM", but rather "zzzzzzz". the filter cap job i did seemed to take care of BMMM.
the soldering looks pretty crappy in this amp. it is point to point, eyelet board. but there are huge blobs of solder.....burn marks on wires everywhere....i mean, the first time i ever really soldered in earnest was my DIY Tube ST-35, and it came out much much prettier (and quieter)than this Traynor....so i don't know if it was the Traynor factory that soldered it crudely, or some subsequent modder...
my dad used to have this ol soldering iron, with a headlight on it; weighed about 5 pounds, shaped like a pistol, or more accurately, a Jetson's "space gun", and it, and the lamp, was activated with a trigger....it must have been about 100 watts. i actually still have it. the element was a loop, or "U", of very heavy wire that glowed orange-hot, probably 1200 degrees F or so. anywho, the Traynor looks like it was done up with one of those.
i have heard about the Cult of Garnet: i don't know much about them. all i know is that my ears are ringing from the Traynor session i had 20 minutes ago. despite the buzz i still love it

What kind of noise specifically? I have quietened several amps recently. Depending on how it is constructed there is a lot you can do. I made some simple changes to a tagboard style amp that killed ~ 90% of the front end buzz. The point to point amps are the easiest to modify. Two quick easy mods: Is the preamp power supply filter cap in the same can with with the rest of the power supply? (ie are all the filter caps in the same multisection can cap). If so, give the preamp its own filter cap. This has really worked well for me. Where is the preamp grounded? If you can, ground everything up to the tone controls to the input jack. Replace the metal jacks with plastic ones and ground them to incoming power ground. Put a three prong power cord on the amp if you haven't already. I have made a couple of buzzy old Garnets dead quiet with these mods.

Having said all that: I have a friend with an Ampeg Gemini that resisted modification due to the printed circuit board design.

nyazzip
KT88

Previous

Return to guitar amps