Jensen P10Q Speakers

a fine line between stupid and clever

Jensen P10Q Speakers

Postby Vince » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:03 am

Hi,
I'm a lurker/newbie tube guy and I know nothing about guitar amps.
But I have a nice pair of Jensen P10Q speakers and see that they are sometimes used in quitar amps. I have a grandnephew who has a setup with a SS amp. Would one of these be useful in a beginners tube amp?
They are the old type with alnico magnets.
Thanks for your insight, Vince
Vince

Postby erichayes » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:31 pm

When Jensen first got started back in the 1920s, their model numbers were the cone diameter and a code letter for the voice coil diameter. Since they all used field coils for magnets, there was no prefix code.

When AlNiCo V magnets came on the scene, Jensen added a "P" (for "permanent") prefix to the model number; finally, when ceramic magnets became reliable, Jensen added a "C" designator for their ceramic line.

The four grades of speaker (VC diameter) were R=1", Q=1.25", N=1.5" and K=2".

Thus, a P10Q would be an AlNiCo V 10" speaker with a 1.25" voice coil. In the General Motors Analogy calculator, that would translate into an Oldsmobile.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby wyatt » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 pm

The P10Q would sound perfect in a guitar amp, and is found in many an old Fender Super (usually in pairs). I would guess you wouldn't want to pair one up with anything more than 12 to 15 watts or so, but see if you can find the old Jensen speaker ratings online (the old ones handle less power than the new Italian-made "reissues").
wyatt

Return to guitar amps