Deluxe Reverb Normal Channel Mods?

a fine line between stupid and clever

Postby cartoonweirdo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:48 pm

Here's a couple of ideas that are easy to reverse.
A: pull out the tube for the normal input. See how you like it.

Feed the reverb tank back into the normal channel (you will need a RCA to 1/4 in adaptor from radioshack) and use the reverb return stage as an extra gain tube.

This will do two things. First, the normal input's tone controls work on your reverb. Second this allows you to wire in the old reverb knob as an extra gain for your new gain stage (the one you will build out of the old reverb return stage). My idea (without the schematic in front of me) would be to use the reverb knob as a reheostat in series with the cathode resistor (you would have to install a lower value of pot to avoid blowing things out) of the reverb return amp. That way if the knob is at zero your amp is "stock".

Here's an idea that takes some doing.

You can run the first channel into the second one. In order to do this I recomend the following things:
Decouple the cathodes of the preamp stages (they currently share a cathode resistor and capacitor), Put a new filter cap in for the normal channel (use a lower value cap for an "older" sound I like 10uF personaly)

After you have done this and made sure that it works in it's "stock" (channels in paralell) configuration, move the output of the first channel to the input of the second channel. To do this rewire your channel two input jack so that the output of channel one goes to the switch on the jack (disconect the switch from ground). That way if plug into channel two the switch will disconect channel one from the mix and you are back to stock.

You will probably have to change the circuit in the first channel, or leave it at a VERY low volume to avoid completely fuzzing out the second channel.

Hope this helps,
Carl
cartoonweirdo

Previous

Return to guitar amps