humming on guitar amp.

a fine line between stupid and clever

humming on guitar amp.

Postby 4-CHANNEL » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:50 am

Hi, Members:

Can anyone tell me how to eliminate the hum when plugged in the e-guitar into the amp. especially when playing along with. My amp. is MESA, 2X6v6 and 4Xel84, no matter I use which tube, or both, humming still exists.

Thanks to have your suggestion and solution.
SUGGESTION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY.
4-CHANNEL

Postby rockable » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:50 am

Does the amp hum when there is no cable plugged in? If not, the problem lies in the cable, guitar or surrounding electrical interefence devices like CRT's, TV's, Fluorescent lights, etc.

If it hums with no cable plugged in, you need to do some checking. Start by pulling one tube at a time and then powering the amp back up to see if the hum goes away. Start with the rightmost tube as viewed from the rear, V1.

Take it out, power it up. If the hum goes away, the problem is in that tube or in that circuit. Always try tube replacement first, because it's easiest. The problem could be a bad electrolytic capacitor or it could be a shielding issue, as well.

Post your question on www.fenderformum.com under the Amp Mods and Repairs forum for help.
rockable

Postby Scott Anderson » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:34 am

I had some noise and hum but found I could reduce it with a EMI/RFI filter surge protector. When I plugged in my amp the hum and noise was reduced. The link is what I use. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=248-759

Scott
Scott Anderson

Postby Geek » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:30 pm

humming on guitar amp.

Maybe it doesn't know the lyrics? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05

We need more info.

The humming could be normal coming through non-humbucking pickups, to a lame cable or connection, to a filter cap going or bum tube (h-k leaky).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby 4-CHANNEL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:09 am

Hi, members:
The hum I had is when the guitar plugged in with the shielded cable, if the amp. alone, it's all quiet with a small hiss sound. I think the problem comes from the cable and the guitar, with the cable connected to the amp, there still some noise and little hum, with the guitar connected, hum is loud and the level only a bit lower than the guitar was playing, I think it's not normal. I've checked the cable grounding, it's normal. With my hand move around the pickup element, the hum change accordingly, but still loud. I think I need to put shielding around the pickup coil and the volume elements to eliminate the hum sound. Nothing wrong with the amp. I have it checked by the dealer. Can I paint the guitar inside with EMI paint for ground shielding? or use tin foil or any suggestions. Suggestions are welcome with many thanks.
4-CHANNEL

Postby Geek » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 am

Hi,

You need humbuckers... end of story ;)

You must be in a room with LOTS of EMI floating around. Is there another room you can use?

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby 4-CHANNEL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi, Geek:

Biased
4-CHANNEL

Postby Geek » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:36 am

No, I personally hate humbuckers! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04

It just seems the logical solution to your problem ;)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby rockable » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 pm

You can help yourself with proper grounding and shielding but single coils will alway make noise. Try a humbucker guitar and a different cable, too.

If there is lots of EMI caused by TV's, neon lights, fluorescent lights, light dimmers, etc in the room, the problem will be worse.
rockable

Return to guitar amps