Champ Amp Speaker ?

a fine line between stupid and clever

Champ Amp Speaker ?

Postby EWBrown » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:37 am

What's the best kind of MI speaker to use with a simple "Champ" type 6V6 / EL84 SE amp? Obviously it doesn't need a 100 Watt + rating, I'm thinking along the lines of 8 or 10 inches. heck even an old style 6X9 car speaker might work...

/ed B in NH / NC
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi,

Try an 8" Weber Signature Series. They're a match made in hevean Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:28 pm

not sure what you mean by cheap but i got a few 12" Jensens from the late '50s-'60s, in the $10-15 price range, off ebay. they have small magnets and are rated at around 12-15 watts, which is pleny for my 5 watt amp. they sound great! really, really, really great, as a matter of fact.
i don't recommend using speakers smaller than 12 inch....the only reason it was ever done in the past was for cost, portability concerns, and "cuteness" factor, but they compromise the guitars sound too much. 6 x 9s would be godawful, tinny and shrill...
so any 12-15" low powered vintage speaker is the ticket IMO. and the only reason i say "vintage" is because they just don't make lightweight speakers any more to my knowledge, with thin paper cones and small magnets
nyazzip
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:00 am

Thanks! it looks like I'll look for a 12 inch vintage speaker. Gotta build up the amp first Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02

I also got a "second opinion" (I know, I'm ugly, too) from NNETG, recommending a 12 inch "Greenback" - I think that AES or Paets Express has those...

Amp first, then the speaker and cab...

./ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby 4-CHANNEL » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 am

I suggest to use a 8" with the magnet about 1.5" in dia. mounted in a square iron bracket made by Yamaha which was using in musical instruments, it's 8 ohm, 20watts, very sensitive about 98 db. I use a 6v6 se amp. to drive with no difficulty.

I bought the speaker from a music instrument broker for $35. The cosmetic is perfect without scratched, the electroplating is look like new, the cone has no fungus or decolouring. the cone suspension still soft with free bouncing. the sound reproduction is great when I tested with a CD thru a 6v6 se amp.
SUGGESTION IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY.
4-CHANNEL

Postby Cygnus X1 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:00 am

Hey EW.
Get ready for a week of summer, around 4th of July!

I agree, a Weber 12" would sound best.
I have a small 2x8" extension cab that still sounds tinny compared
to the 12" in a combo.

Greenbacks would be overkill.
Cygnus X1

Return to guitar amps