incorporating mechanical reverb into an existing circuit

a fine line between stupid and clever

incorporating mechanical reverb into an existing circuit

Postby nyazzip » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:53 am

so without getting technical and posting schematics, is it at all feasible to look into the possibility of incorporating a spring reverb tank into my 5 watt valve junior amp? i have no idea where in the circuit that the reverb traditionally enters the scene. i know that a tube is used at this point, (traditionally)for some reason. i do notice that most "vintage" low wattage amps have no reverb, so maybe theres a better reason than just plain economics....?
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 am

Hi,

Short non-geeky answer - A VJ is physically too small for a sring reverb.

Yes, economics is a large factor.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:37 am

well, i own the head version....and i took the chassis out of the shell and use it that way for tube access. so in my case, i would gladly make a new chassis/box/whatever if it meant i could have long tank spring reverb !
i browsed around at the VJ "mods" and nobody mentions reverb
nyazzip
KT88

Postby gerryc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Yes, it is possible. Basically the reverb signal chain would be tapped off the preamp output and mixed back in before the power amp. Take a look at any of the Fender schematics here which have reverb (e.g. Princeton Reverb, Pro Reverb, Twin Reverb), they all use basically the same circuit:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fender.h ... fender.htm

You could do essentially the same thing.
gerryc

Postby gerryc » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Oops, messed up link. Try this:

http://www.schematicheaven.com/fender.htm
gerryc

Postby Geek » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 am

If you're going to go through that trouble, then no problem, as mentioned above.

I made a post in this thread of a reverb circuit specifically designed as an add-on to an existing amplifier.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:22 am

That amplifier is built and works. There are a few changes to the schematic but the reverb is what you see here. I used a Hammond 125BSE, which is overkill but allowed me to try different primary impedances to maximize signal output.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:21 pm

all woefully over my head, looks like. i am considering getting one of the fender external reverb boxes. i just can't imagine reverb sounding good when its applied to an input signal first thing. or maybe thats how its done......? the fender boxes are very expensive. i would gladly try to build one myself if somebody could tell me how to in Caveman. schematics are no good to me, because they assume a substantial knowledge baseline which i do not/cannot have
nyazzip
KT88

Return to guitar amps