DIY Guitar amps everywhere!!

a fine line between stupid and clever

DIY Guitar amps everywhere!!

Postby djunk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Found 18watt.com.
Lots of advice there and, turns out, there are tons of great guitar amp kits on the market.
Built an 18 watt trem. from Weber and an 18 watt TMB from Trinity.
HiFi is great, but there is something special about the grind of a Les Paul through a pair of el84's. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11
djunk

Postby JJGross » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Yes there is.
Strats sounds pretty good through them as well.
I even modified my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe to run EL84s and though I also own a LP and an Explorer (among others), I'm a Strat guy through & through.

Now the cleans in the HRDx are better balanced and the drive sounds went from standard Fender 'Fizz Fake Fuzz' to early Marshall/Vox grind with no more flabby bass.
Add a 100w speaker to that 40w amp (now about 25w with the EL84s) to let the amp deliver exactly what it's putting out and it's a winner all around.

I'm also gathering parts for a couple amp builds right now, an EL84 based something or another (still somewhat undecided but leaning to an 18watter) and a 6V6/octal preamp based Tweed Champ clone.

Cheers,
- JJ
JJGross

Postby Gingertube » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:48 pm

I agree, but to really appreciate the grind of a Les Paul I prefer a pair of 6V6s.
For the strat I like a "mini-head", a quad of 6V6 in parallel push pull, much cleaner than a pair of 6V6 but still with that "V" grind".

Of-course we are talking about 25 watts for a quad of 6V6 - so its no stadium crusher, still, more wick than I need.

Cheers,
Ian
Gingertube

Postby djunk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:33 am

I'm gonna mix it up a bit in the future.
I'm selling the two combos I built and going with a 2 x 12 cabinet from Avatar with a Hellatone 30 and a Celestion Gold in stereo. Then I'm just gonna build heads in the future and do a mix and match thing. I'm starting a 1987x clone next with el34's. Should shake the neighbors walls. I'd like to add a nice Telecaster as well, but the funds are not quite there. Maybe if I could make a few bucks of the amp projects I could spring a new guitar, but that's usually not the case. Most buyers on ebay aren't hip on DIY amps and, if they are, they're looking to steal it from you.
I'm thinking about some of the other amp styles as well. Maybe some fender clones???
I can't seem to hang on to an amp for more than a few months. Then on to another build. I think I've got some kind of disease. Oh well. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02
djunk

Postby nyazzip » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 pm

get an orange tiny terror. that should cure your amp juggling for some time....best all around amp i've ever played, certainly the best i've owned. i traded my jcm800 for it, with a reading of exactly zero point zero on the regret-o-meter....
;D
nyazzip
KT88

Return to guitar amps