next project :DELUXE 5E3

a fine line between stupid and clever

next project :DELUXE 5E3

Postby susomora » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:24 am

Hi guys ,
I'm getting ready to start a new project : a Fender Deluxe 5E3 . Ther goes my first question ; Should I use linear or logarithmic pots in a guitar amp ?
Cheers
SUSO
susomora

Postby cw » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:39 am

a long time ago i was told as a general rule of thumb to always use audio taper pots on volume. works for me.
cw

Postby susomora » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:15 am

What about the tone pot ?
susomora

Postby cw » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 pm

i used a linear master tone pot when i made my guitar and i like it. the taper of an audio pot has a bit too much rise at the end to smoothly get the tone adjusted for me. some guys like it when they over drive a bunch but i don't.

i use a Gibson inspired bass (my own build) with Gibson pups so my signal is pushing pretty close to a 500mA signal (71 Gibson Humbucker a bit over wound = 5%) without any pre-amping on my neck pup alone. i blend the two pups with my volume controls (or bypass the tones along with my "sweet spot" pup a Gibson TB Plus pickup) by using a HAS Sound 6 setting tone control. this lets me use the guitar to set my tone vs the amp which i use to simply amplify without any after effect pedals, so i can duplicate the sound when i want.

i would assume it works the same way with an amp tone pot.
cw

Postby dhuebert » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:12 am

Go here:

http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/index.html

and download the tonestack calculator. Very nifty and easy to use. It will answer your question in seconds.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Return to guitar amps