Generic PP 6v6 for bass guitar

a fine line between stupid and clever

Generic PP 6v6 for bass guitar

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:44 pm

I am taking up bass guitar and wanted to build a PP amp with 6v6s for it. Can anybody here recommend any schematics? I have never built a quitar amp before, so this will be fun. Thanks in advance.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:49 pm

Ya, I can recommend some schematics!

http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1436

FWIW: Here's what I would do: take the KT88s out of the output and replace them with 6V6s. You want a quartet for bass, I believe I've talked about why elsewhere.

Replace the 1650T output transformer with 1650H (40 watts, 6600 ohm primary, ultra-linear). Wire the primary for ultralinear and the secondary for 16 ohm speaker and use an 8 ohm one.

Keep the front end as is.

For the power supply: change the 278CX power transformer to 270HX. Increase the size of the filter caps, for bass amps, more is more. Get rid of the standby switch, it was a bad idea.

For layout ideas look at the pictures, This amp is VERY quiet.

This design has been very very successful, it is well loved by the users.

If the above is not clear, keep asking questions, I don't know how educated you are and I would like someone else to build this design and see how they like it.

Later: the 27K 5W resistor between Bp and the first stage could be changed to 10K 2W and the 10 K resistor between Bp and the phase invertor could be changed to 5K 1W.

I know everyone is wondering about the 12AX7 and the strange values around it...well what happened was, I designed it for 12AU7 and when I built it I had a brain farct and put in an AX. I did not discover this till several weeks after it was in service and I took it home to do a 100 hour check out. Imagine my surprise to find an AX in the front end! Everyone liked the amp so much tho that I kept it this way, why mess with success?

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Return to guitar amps