speakers

a fine line between stupid and clever

speakers

Postby samuel1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 pm

I'm building a guitar amp with two 40w solid state power amps (left and right). the first stage is a self built ibanez ts-08 tube screamer, the second a tube preamp booster with only a single 12at7.

its a little odd yes, but i'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for what speakers i should use?

the powers amps for 40w at 8 ohms. i also would not be opposed to just buying a cab to suit my needs rather than buying speakers and building one. any advice? I'm in love with the warm old fender sound, and am not looking to empty my wallet.
samuel1

Postby Clanger » Fri May 04, 2007 11:08 am

Celestions are the best bet.

There are many versions of the G12, of which the best vintage ones are now expensive (Alnico's, and vintage G12M's and G12H's from the 60;s)

However the G12m and h models are now being manufactured cheaply in China, but with good quality control and faithful to the original specs. These would be a good choice in my opinion.

As a valve fan, and ts9 fan I can see the point of the front end, but why make a tranny power amp if you're in love with the fender sound though ? Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13 .

Good luck all the same though
Clanger

Return to guitar amps