Latest Bass Amp

a fine line between stupid and clever

Postby dhuebert » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:06 pm

Jeez, I forget, I'll have to take a tape measure to the Times and get back to you.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 pm

Let's play spot the Hammertone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlL2Mg-hkjA

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby dhuebert » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm

OK.

The owner of the club where the BFA hangs out pointed out something curious to me the other day. The volume doesn't go to zero when you turn it all the way down. It gets quieter until about 1/4 volume and then stays at that volume as you turn it the rest of the way down. Any suggestions? I'm going to swap it out tonite and I'll let you know what I found but I thought this was a neat puzzle.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm

I have a (SS) AM/FM/SW radio which has a similar symptom, the volume no longer goes all the way down. I'd try to shoot some "cleaner" into the pot, but the radio is a real "bear" to open up sufficiently to access the pot :'(

As they say "No user-serviceable parts inside" (or even somewhat accessible) (666)

My first SWAG for the BFA's problem is that the volume pot has gone partially bad, or perhaps there is a "suspicious" solder connection on the pot's "ground" lug, or on the ground end of it's wire.

Perhaps a quick shot of "cleaner" or WD-40 into the volume pot would fix it (???)

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Re: Latest Bass Amp

Postby dhuebert » Thu May 22, 2014 10:21 am

The BFA is alive and well at the Times Changed High and Lonesome club. It has been the house amp since spring of 2007 and has done heroic duty in it's role there. I have replaced the output tubes several times over the years and recently switched to KT120s due to their better heat dissipation. They seem to be lasting much longer than the KT88s did; the difference is that the KT88s were running at their maximum power whereas the KT120s are far below that. Very pleased.

Don
dhuebert
KT88

Previous

Return to guitar amps