Sexy Plexi st70

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Sexy Plexi st70

Postby djunk » Sat May 27, 2006 11:34 pm

Hello to all.
I thought I'd post some pics of a st70 I just rebuilt. I had a plastics company make a 17 x 13 x 3 inch chassis out of 3/16 plexi-glass.
They did great job and the 3/8 bottom fits inside for a very clean look.

I started this site to showcase the amps and maybe sell some pre-orders to the DIY challenged. It still needs a lot of work but it's a start.

http://www.glassaudio.net/el34pp.html[/img]
djunk

Postby sorenj07 » Sun May 28, 2006 9:32 am

that looks pretty sweet. is there any cause for worry in terms of HF interference or anything like that? idk if tubes are different but i'd always read that SS stuff is helped by being in metal. ig it depends on your location too...
sorenj07
KT88

hf

Postby djunk » Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 am

That crossed my mind too. All my signal lines are shielded and seperated. I made sure that the star ground was very solid. Everything seems to work fine and the sound isn't any different from the metal chassis. Maybe next to a tv might be trouble???
djunk

Postby TomMcNally » Sun May 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Derek - You might have a problem near an AM radio station - up to a mile or two away if it's powerful. I still hear CB'ers on my computer speakers now and then when they drive by. Otherwise, you probably won't have any issues. Very cool look !
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby erichayes » Sun May 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi All,

Extrapolating on Tom's comment, if you're near a marina or dock (or large body of water, for that matter), airport or regional air control center, you might also have sporadic radar "hash" problems. RFI can be suppressed or eliminated using methods other than brute-force shielding such as a metal chassis provides, but it usually comes at the expense of high frequency response rolloff. Nice work.
Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby mesherm » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:13 am

http://home.earthlink.net/~mikesherman/images/front.jpg

I'm about 1.5 miles from Burbank Airport and have had no interference problems yet.
When I lived in LA though, with my old Heathkit SS equipment, there was a nearby hip-hop radio station that would either increase power at night or change their broadcast direction and I had to add bypass caps across the speaker terminals to cut it down. I also had a CBer in the neighborhood with huge sloppy linear that would try and shoot skip to the east coast somewhere in the morning and evening. I was almost to the point of making a bolas of 18ga wire and wheel weights to toss at his beam antenna.
mesherm
KT88

Postby djunk » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:05 am

Nice amp mesherm. I was beginning to question my plexi design. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14
Thanks for the great comments and suggestions.
djunk

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:38 pm

djunk wrote:I was beginning to question my plexi design. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14

Hi djunk,

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no mixing stages and the bandwidth drops like a rock over 100kHz. Enjoy the music! ;)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to st70