ST70 finished. Thanks for all the help.

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

ST70 finished. Thanks for all the help.

Postby djunk » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:14 am

I just finished my first tube amp.
I got back into vinyl about a year ago and that started me looking into vintage hifi. The old stuff undoubtably looks better and as far sound...well i'm still looking for a preamp so I can use this thing. (I didn't realize my yamaha didn't have an amp output Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_21 )
I posted some wimpy pix online. Let me know what you think. I'd love to get some input from the masters. http://spaces.msn.com/members/djunkcybertrunk
Thanks to Tom McNally for all the advice too. I'll be pondering my next project soon. Maybe a small integrated amp for the home office.
Derek
djunk

Postby TerrySmith » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:51 pm

Nice! Where did you get the chassis from?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby mesherm » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:57 pm

I love the white trannies with the black chassis. Nice work! That is a nice roomy chassis too. As to the preamp problem, although its not the best solution, you could use a speaker output to line level converter. They are usually sold in car stereo shops.
http://www.audio-discounters.com/rbhl-2.html
That way you could use your existing Yamaha amp.
mesherm
KT88

Postby djunk » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:10 pm

I got the chassis from this old-timer electronics shop for $20. This guy gets a lot of surplus stuff from Boeing and the military. It's good thick aluminum and is 17 x 13 x 4.
As for the preamp. I just ordered an Adcom GTP. My plan is to have a bi-amp system with the tubes for the mids and highs and a big Adcom 200W x 2 for the rest. The Yamaha is a very nice 1970's CR-840. I think I'll sell it on ebay.
Thanks for looking.
djunk

Another Adcom preamp!

Postby Shannon Parks » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:29 pm

djunk wrote:As for the preamp. I just ordered an Adcom GTP.

What model GTP did you get?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby djunk » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:57 pm

It's a 500ii. I bought it from a seller on ebay that I've delt with before. He takes nice care of his stuff. I hope it does the trick. I'm not sure how its set up for two amps but it should work for the st70, which is my main issue for now. The bi-amp system is still a year and a few $grand$ off.

ps. I wrote you a few days back about my start up. Turns out I forgot to ground the commons on the output xfmrs. Rookie move Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
djunk

Postby TomMcNally » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:36 pm

The Adcom is a good choice ! I have two GTP-500II's (listening to one right now) and a GTP-600 that I was going to hook a bunch of amps up to, but haven't done it yet. I didn't check to see if it had a phono section before I bought it ... and of course, it doesn't. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_13 By the way - if you don't get a remote with yours, the only one I've found that works well with it (well on/off and volume) is a cheapie "Jensen" SC-570 which you can usually get on eBay for like $ 2.

Again - nice job with the amp. You're out of the rookie ranks now !

Happy New Year all !
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby djunk » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:37 am

I got it from tubes4pro on ebay. The guys name is Chong. I've noticed his board on this site before. Seems like a good fit.
Thanks for looking.
djunk

Return to st70