Another Shannon Amp Lives!

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Another Shannon Amp Lives!

Postby WA4SWJ » Thu May 26, 2005 6:52 pm

Everyone,

I just finished my ST-70 Clone using Shannon's ST-70 board. It looks great and sounds great too. Powered up first time with no problems.

Pictures can be found here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/354063825LZnHlO

The amp is powered up and idling in the pictures.

I bought Uncle Ned's transformers and a chrome plated chassis on a famous auction Web site along with Shannon's board. The tubes are JJ Tesla except the output tubes which are SED's. I am more than pleased. This one is destined for my office - at least for a while.

Thanks once again Shannon for a great design. Hope everyone is having fun.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Re: Another Shannon Amp Lives!

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri May 27, 2005 6:27 am

WA4SWJ wrote:I bought Uncle Ned's transformers and a chrome plated chassis on a famous auction Web site ...

Hi Ed,

Looks great!

Is the chassis an original or one of the reproductions listed recently? If the repo, how was the quality? Thanks, Ed.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri May 27, 2005 6:37 am

Shannon,

The chassis is a reproduction. I got it on eBay. It's chrome plated and is of very good quality. The chrome plating is excellent and the lettering is perfect. I hated to even get finger prints on it.

The amp is now in my office (I brought it in today) and it truly sounds great and the chrome makes it look super. I'll use it for background music.

The inside of the chassis is not chromed but is coated with some type of coating I am not familiar with. It is just fine on the interior. I didn't take pictures of the interior but perhaps I will someday.

BTW, the 832A amp I'm building is progressing. I am going to use your Stereo 70 driver circuit but the chassis I have is too small for the board. (Rats!) I'll post some pictures once I get the amp done. It will be a few weeks.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Return to st70