What Resistors To Use?

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

What Resistors To Use?

Postby gfederys » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:46 am

Well this one ought to make the nay sayers cringe. I'm (FINALLY) putting my ST-70 back together. I'm using a new Triode Electronics board, (eyelettes and runs lifted on the old one), ECC-99 and EF-86's, running EL-34's, and the Triode Electronics power supply board. Not wanting to do this a 3rd time, and shooting for excellent sound, I was wondering what resistors to use. I DO have a lot of the correct value Caddock MK-132 resistors from the previous build of this amp, (PP, 6B4G), about 70% of the values I need. SO, should I just buy the rest of the Caddocks? Do people feel they suck? Is something better people would recommend? Is coffee coming out of people's noses from laughing @ this post? While we're @ it, what about capacitors? What do people feel currently are "the best"? (reasonable price ranges, please). Thanx everyone in advance for your advice.

[/b]
gfederys

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi,

This is a "What's the best religion?" question, so you're going to get a lot of different answers ;)

For me, Panasonic ECW(*) are the best sounding caps and Matsushita (Panasonic) metal oxide resistors.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 am

"the best" always sends me running for cover. There is no best but there is what ever you are comfortable listening to and this is best for you. There are a lot of factors in my opinion that affect the sound and the most is the design. If the design is really good again my opinion then I don't seem to hear a difference when changing caps and resistors. I generally use Panasonic caps and metal oxide resistors also but no specific brand or type. The driver board you have purchased is a straight forward one and should be a good sounding one. I have tried the 6AU6/12Au7 driver board and found it very nice performing after changing to a 6AU6 variant and a 12BH7. I used simple Orange Sprauge caps because I had them and I like the sound and the resistors were run of the mill. The other 6AU6/12Au7 board that I purchased I used premium caps and resistors on it and the two were installed on identical 70's and no difference was heard.
burnedfingers
KT88

What Resistors To Use?

Postby gfederys » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:34 am

Thanx everyone for the feedback. (or none if you're from the SE mindSET) "The Best" was just my attempt @ humor. After scrutinizing my old Triode Board, I realized very few of the Caddocks are transferable because I DID build it for PP/6B4G. I will take a look @ the Panasonic line. I chose their caps for the power supply board. I saw "PRP Audio Resistors" @ one of the vendors. Though I should know better, I still get sucked into that phrase. However, they do promise giving one an audio edge, and they wouldn't break the bank either. For caps, I'm thinking Jantzen for the same reason. Just thinking out loud.......
gfederys

Return to st70