.02uF Ceramic Caps Filament Winding Centertaps to Gnd ST-70

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

.02uF Ceramic Caps Filament Winding Centertaps to Gnd ST-70

Postby Scott Novak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 am

Has anyone every done a listening test to see if there is any sonic difference between using the .02uF stock ceramic caps or polypropylene caps between the centertaps of the filament windings and ground?

I wouldn't think it would make much difference, but I've been surprised before by things that I didn't think would make a difference.

Scott Novak
Scott Novak

Postby mesherm » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:07 pm

Since the caps are not in the signal path it doesn't make a difference which type of cap is used as long as the same voltage ratings are used. Dynaco used a dual ceramic cap with three leads for low cost.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Scott Novak » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:47 pm

mesherm wrote:Since the caps are not in the signal path it doesn't make a difference which type of cap is used as long as the same voltage ratings are used. Dynaco used a dual ceramic cap with three leads for low cost.

That's an assumption. There is stray capacitance linking everything in the signal path. The question is whether or not there is a sonic difference between the two types of capacitors in that location. The only way to know for sure is by a listening test.

Scott Novak
Scott Novak

Postby Geek » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:07 pm

They bleed noise coupled through the heater-cathode junction to ground. Best to leave them, or even increase them.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby 20to20 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:30 am

Scott Novak wrote:
mesherm wrote:Since the caps are not in the signal path it doesn't make a difference which type of cap is used as long as the same voltage ratings are used. Dynaco used a dual ceramic cap with three leads for low cost.

That's an assumption. There is stray capacitance linking everything in the signal path. The only way to know for sure is by a listening test.

Scott Novak

I nominate Scott for the 1st Anal DIYTube Tin Foil Hat award.

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Tue May 15, 2012 5:10 am

Have replaced them with both same values and increased the values and tried different types. I go with a slight increase in value if possible. No, you do not hear any sonic differences.
burnedfingers
KT88

Return to st70