ST-70 Purchasing questions

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

ST-70 Purchasing questions

Postby zebrostripe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:24 am

What would one expect to pay for an untested, complete, all original ST-70 in average cosmetic shape? (Tubes included). The amp has been in a storage unit for many many years and the owner wants to get rid of it... for a price. I'd like to make him a realistic offer without insulting him as well as not overpaying. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
zebrostripe

Postby Ty_Bower » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 am

I'm guessing they sell for anywhere from $350 to $650 on eBay, depending on quantity of rust, quality of included tubes, and condition of capacitors.

Take a look on eBay and see. You might also watch Audiogon for a while.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby dcgillespie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 am

The demand (and therefore price) of these units can vary significantly from even week to week, depending on how many motivated folks there are at any given point in time that are looking for one. However, in my experience, even rather beat up units tend to bring at least $350 on average, so I would let that be your low point. From there, average operating units are bringing upwards of $450-500, while superior units are bringing even more.

If the owner is selling the unit as untested, that should drive your offer to the lower end, so if this is an all-so-typical unit that can be cleaned up for nice appearance but needs typical servicing for equipment of its age to make it operational, it sounds like $400 would be a fair place to start, and will insult no one. To pay this though, I would at least want to know if the integrity of the transformer windings are still good, which they probably are. If they are, then anything less than $400 then would be a "good deal", and anything over that would need to be justified by providing some known level of actual operation.

Good luck!

Dave
dcgillespie
KT88

Postby Dynacophil » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:05 pm

untested? that can mean dead trannies and worse... I wouldn't buy unless below 200. If working somehow, 300 or more, depending on...

I'm critical because for me always 150-200 shipping add... I don't like shipping junk around the world.
"Iss dein Schnitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch
Dynacophil

Postby zebrostripe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for the input. I was able to go check it out today and though I was not able to do any inspections other than visual, it appears to be in pretty decent shape. As Dynacophill pointed out, there is a possibility that the trannys are fried, however I was able to score the st70, a Dynaco FM tuner and two Dynaco preamps for $250. Prety good score if it all turns out ok...

They definitely need a good cleaning and a serious run thru before I get them going, but I've got a good feeling about it all.

This will be my first step from guitar amps into hi-fi, so I'm pretty stoked. Thanks again, guys.
zebrostripe

Postby dcgillespie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:28 am

A very good score indeed!

Dave
dcgillespie
KT88

Postby Dynacophil » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:12 am

this is also untested a score :)
"Iss dein Schnitzel, sonst kriegst du keinen Nachtisch
Dynacophil

Postby burnedfingers » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:52 am

quote:
From there, average operating units are bringing upwards of $450-500, while superior units are bringing even more.

I had all I could do last year at this time last year to get $500 out of a Dynaco Stereo 70 with a chromed chassis, new output transformers, new HD power transformer, Mapletree Driver Board, and Geek Power supply board not to mention NOS 5693 and 5691 tubes for the driver board and a new quad of EL34's.

Note* The chassis on this amp had the nickle stripped off and a brilliant chrome plating job.

In my opinion I surely wouldn't pay 450-500 for a stock unit.
burnedfingers
KT88

Return to st70